If home brewing became illegal ....

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Would you still home brew if it became illegal?

• Yes

• No

Results are only viewable after voting.

TxBrew

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Would you still home brew?

EDIT - Lets say it would be a felony.

Hell yeah...I need my homebrew to help with the cottonmouth.
pimp.gif

As long as I could still get ahold of the supplies, you bet your *ss I would. I've never been terribly concerned with the legality of things.

-walker

Walker said:
As long as I could still get ahold of the supplies, you bet your *ss I would. I've never been terribly concerned with the legality of things.

-walker

I'm with ya.

I'm already growing half the ingredients (hops) so I have a head start in case prohibition (or other stupid laws regarding alchohol) strikes again. ;)

LOL...overwhelming poll I'd say.

ian said:
That's a tough one.

Misdemeanor or Felony?

Lets go with felony in the this case. I edited my post.

They only find my footprints as it is. They'll never find my brew rig.

El Pistolero said:
It's easy to be brave when it's hypothetical, and you're anonymous, and big brother isn't watching. He's not watching...is he? :eek:

That's true. I suppose it would depend on how it was being enforced. In Canada weed is illegal, but most cops don't give a **** if you've got a bit on you. I suspect it may be the same for HB'ing. If you're brewing for yourself they probably wouldn't be too hard on a guy. It may be difficult to explain to the cops that the 100+ liters of beer downstairs is for my personal use!

It's medicinal, I swear!

As was mentioned, it depends on whether or not the law was actually enforced. If there was a crackdown, I'd quit. I've got a wife and kid to think of.....I could survive on store-bought beer.

If it were enforced somewhat like the "limits" on homebrewing output are now, I wouldn't be too concerned about it.

Come to think of it, do they even enforce the laws against distilling?

I sure as hell would not quit brewing. :mad: Then I could tell my grandkids (like my grandfather does) about making hooch and hiding it from the "revenewers". :)

loop

Sam75 said:
As was mentioned, it depends on whether or not the law was actually enforced. If there was a crackdown, I'd quit. I've got a wife and kid to think of.....I could survive on store-bought beer.
Ditto Sam . . .

I thought it was illegal for a bit. I was willing to face deportment for the sake of beer... don't let my wife read this. I'd be in deep sh!+ for that. I figured it is probably unenforced and the cops would probably want to try some, so I could weasel out of it.

I'm in the "depend on how tough they'd be on it" crowd. Until they start breaking down the door, I'm brewing :)

lmao

definately get a dodge to haul it around in...

i'd have to move back to the hills of west by god virginia though...

El Pistolero said:
I thought you already had one. :confused:
Not me...probably easier to buy a Porsche these days than a real ponycar. I posted once about a Challenger convertible I was interested in for $2500 that ultimately sold for $350k. At the moment I'm keeping my eyes peeled for a mid/late 70's pickup. Guess I could be Uncle Jesse instead.

The closest I ever came to vintage American steel was a '65 Corvair convertible my grandmother gave me when I turned 16 that probably wound up costing me more than just buying something.

BeeGee said:
Not me...probably easier to buy a Porsche these days than a real ponycar. I posted once about a Challenger convertible I was interested in for $2500 that ultimately sold for $350k. At the moment I'm keeping my eyes peeled for a mid/late 70's pickup. Guess I could be Uncle Jesse instead.

The closest I ever came to vintage American steel was a '65 Corvair convertible my grandmother gave me when I turned 16 that probably wound up costing me more than just buying something.

My first car was a 1955 Chevy Bellaire. (My brother's first car was a 1958 Chevy Impala). The Bellaire was owned by an old lady in my town, and it had sat, largely unused, in her garage for about 30 years. She had plates on it that declared it an antique, which meant that it could only be driven in parades and on sundays. She faithfully drove it about 10 miles every sunday to keep the juices flowing.

I bought it for $1500, and it was in pretty damn good shape.

I loved that car, but it was a ***** to drive in the snow. Damn rear wheel drive! If I gave it too much gas, the a$$ end would try to pass the front end on the road.

-walker

They'd have to prise the hydrometer from my cold dead hands.....

El Pistolero said:
Glaucoma medicine oshifer...I've got a scripchen here somewhere. :drunk:

Yeah Ocifer, he's got a bad case of anal-glaucoma......He just can't see his ass not brewing! :D

Ceej said:
Nope. Wouldn't do it. Too much to lose.
I would, however, start a re-call election on myself for allowing such a lame law to come into being. I sure hope somebody runs against me this year so I can get some things done around the house!

:D

I know 34 people here will be glad to help you! :D

Back