Honey Brown Recipe

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

smoke76

Reaction score
I don't have the ability to cold ferment a lager yet, but I wanted to try something close to a J.W.Dundee Honey Brown Lager. I'm still a newb so I extract brew.

Any Sugestions?

since HB doesn't really have any honey flavor, you could go with any brown lager/ale in your case. Then if you want add some honey to the boil. If you want to actually have a honey flavor, add the honey either at flame-out, before pitching or after the fermentation has started. Then prime with some honey instead of dme or dexrose. Also use some honey malt for specialty grains.

As a little bit of a guideline, from their website.

The famous award winning founder of the JW Dundee Ales & Lagers family. Honey Brown has a deep golden color and smooth, full bodied flavor with just a hint of honey on the palate.

Gold Award Winner of the 2004 World Beer Cup: Special Honey Lager or Ale Category.

ABV: 4.5%
IBUs: 10

On most of their beers, I like that they actually tell you what hops they used, but they don't for this one. At only 10 IBUs I bet it doesn't matter that much.

I second the use of a little honey malt, maybe some light crystal and a well attenuating ale yeast. Also try your best to stay in the right temp. range for the yeast, preferably on the lower end of the range

Back