Converting DIPA from Extract to All Grain

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

drewrowland

Reaction score
This is my DIPA Extract fermentables recipe that I really like, but need to convert it to all grain. Any suggestion / help would be appreciated.

Briess DME - Pilsen Light (5lb)
DME - Extra Light (3lb)
Mutons DME - Wheat (1lb)
Weyermann Carahell (1lb)
Briess Victory Malt (8oz)
Corn Sugar (8oz)
Briess Carapils Malt (4oz)

About 14# pale malt and between half a pound and 1# of wheat, everything else can stay the same. The amounts of base malt depend on your efficiency.

So I would not want to use Pilsen malt, or would that make much of a difference. Sorry im a Noob to all grain.

from my experience with the amount of hops in a DIPA, you won't see any difference between pale malt and pilsen malt

Somewhere around

8lb pilsner, 6lb-2 row, 1lb wheat + the rest

You'll need to scale up/down based on your efficiency to hit your intended OG.

Since you really like it, I'd try the same recipe twice. Once with all 2-row and once as is. Tastebuds vary and some people are more sensitive to subtle grain flavors than others.

Remember though, the pilsner should have a 90 minute boil to eliminate DMS. You'll need to plan your starting boil volume accordingly.

So this is what I came up with:

US 2 row - 6lb
Maris Otter - 6lb
Carahell - 1lb
White Wheat - 12oz
Victory - 8oz
Dextrose - 8oz
Carapils - 4oz

Right, I think I want to move away from the Pilsner maybe and get a maltier body. I have also never used Marris Otter, so I thought since I was making this switch maybe I should just try something a bit different.

Back