Counter-Pressure Filler

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Brewsmith

Home brewing moogerfooger
Reaction score
So I am now in need of a counter pressure filler to bottle from my kegs. I was looking at several models when I came across this picture:
counterpressure.jpg
I then then thought in a flash of Yuri_Rage like spirit, "Hey, I can make that!"

A quick search on google led me to a familiar site by our own tnlandsailor where he not only has plans for the famous "Great Fridge Project", but also low and behold, a counterpressure filler! http://sdcollins.home.mindspring.com/CPBF.html
He even has a printable pdf for it. Let's see if I can make it and get it working by next weekend! :ban:

Too late, I already bought some of the parts. I just need to find the 1/4'' SS tubing.

I bought parts friday and today and the rest are coming by UPS tomorrow from McMaster-Carr. This is going to be sweet! I can't wait to build it. I'll try to document the process and post pictures when its finished. :rockin:

So I finished building my counter pressure filler. It was pretty easy and didn't take alot of time. I had to buy 36 inches of stainless steel tubing, so I have enough to make a complete second bottle filler. If anyone is interested in one, I could build one for, say $75 plus shipping. That would include the liquid-in line with with a ball lock (or pin) fitting to connect to the keg and a line for CO2, and you'll have to tell me how you want the gas line to connect. If anyone is interested just give me a PM.

Pics of assembly are to follow shortly.

Here's the pictures and step by step of the build of the counter pressure bottle filler

1. Here's all of the parts laid out unassembled. Most of the brass parts are 1/4''. All brass was soaked in a solution of vinegar and hydrogen peroxide for 5 minutes to remove surface lead.
counterfill1.jpg

2. All the male threads wrapped with teflon tape.
counterfill2.jpg

3. Ball valves for gas and liquid in attached to the first tee with 1/4'' close nipples. Hex nipples would be better but I couldn't find any.
counterfill3.jpg

4. The other 1/4'' tee with compression fittings. Top is a 1/4'' ccompression fitting that has been drilled with a 1/4'' bit so that the 1/4'' stainless tube will slide right through. The bottom compression fitting is 3/8'' for bleed off.
counterfill4.jpg

5. Needle valve installed for bleed off. Threads are 1/8'' so I needed a 1/4'' to 1/8'' bushing on the tee.
counterfill5.jpg

6. Bleed off valve completely assembled with 1/4'' SS tube with compression fitting on the valve.
counterfill6.jpg

7. Main length of 1/4'' SS tube and 1/4'' compression fitting on tee (unmodified)
counterfill7.jpg

8. Stainless attached to valve/tee assembly. SS was 18 inches long, but was later shortened by about 4 inches to fit the standard bottle.
counterfill8.jpg

9. Bleed off valve assembly attached to the SS tube. The drilled compression fitting on the top of the tee allows the assembly to fit over the SS tube. The bottom compression fitting is 3/8'' and the tube slides through unmodified.
counterfill9.jpg

10. 2'' length of 3/8'' copper tubing to fit on the compression fitting and will later have the #2 rubber stopper over it.
counterfill10.jpg

11. 3/8'' copper attached over the 1/4'' SS sliding through. Not pictured is the #2 rubber stopper over the copper tto seal against the bottle (I forgot to take that picture!) The in fittings on the ball valves are a 1/4'' flare for the liquid and a 1/4'' push connect for the gas. Here it is complete.
counterfill11.jpg

*Bonus Material*

I also built my CO2 manifold for the outside of the fridge, also with 1/4'' push connect fittings so I can access gas without unplugging a keg inside the fridge. The entire assembly was screwed on the outside of the fridge.

1. All of the parts unassembled. Threads on the sides of the manifold are 3/8'' and the out ports in the middle are 1/4''.
gasmanifold1.jpg

2. All parts teflon taped.
gasmanifold2.jpg

3. All parts assembled. Port in middle has a 1/4'' plug to allow the valves to clear each other.
gasmanifold3.jpg

4. Closer pic of final assembly.
gasmanifold4.jpg

that is awesome, all of it that is. How much did it cost for that co2 regulator set up. Did you assemble it all yourself?

I ordered the manifold parts from McMaster-Carr, as well as the SS tubing. The biggest price tag items are the manifold block - $13.63 and the SS tubing - $11.96 for one 36 inch length. Total McMaster-Carr bill was $50.10.

Lowes bill for the brass was about $40 and I spent another $17 at the LHBS for beer line, ball lock, fittings, clamps and the #2 stopper.

In all about $110 for the CPBF, the manifold and all the tubing to connect everything. And yes I did assemble everything myself last night and this morning. All I needed tool-wise was a tube cutter and two crescent wrenches.

Brewsmith said:
In all about $110 for the CPBF, the manifold and all the tubing to connect everything. And yes I did assemble everything myself last night and this morning. All I needed tool-wise was a tube cutter and two crescent wrenches.

Isn't a new counter pressure filler around $50?

Yes, but it does not include all the hoses. They are usually $15-$20, plus shipping.

In that price is also the other manifold that I built. For the CPBF I didn't really spend more, but I didn't save either. The biggest cost was the SS tubing, and I got enough to make 2, since I had to get 36''.

Back