Any real sub for honey malt?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

the_bird

10th-Level Beer Nerd
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
I'm 98% sure the answer is "no," but I went to get ingredients for the "Option 5" version of the original 777 discussion (Brewsmith's grain bill with a single hop addition). HBS was all out of honey malt.

Anything close to act as a sub? I'm disappointed, I really wanted to experiment with this malt, but now I'm thinking of going in a completely different direction (gotta do an inventory tonight, but I think I could put together a nice ESB). Short of that, though, anything else that would fill that role? Maybe use a little bit of actual honey for aromatics combined with some extra crystal malt?

Ideas?

Yeah, a bit of honey in secondary along with some crystal 10 might do the trick. You might even consider... priming with honey. That might trap more of the aroma and flavor then adding earlier in the process. Not sure though; I've never primed with honey, and I think there are concerns about inconsistent concentrations of fermentables, perhaps?

Honey malt, Melanoidin malt, brumalt, aromatic malt are interchangeable.

The colors vary with each maltery, but they are essentially the same.

If you can't find any of the above, try some dark munich.

david_42 said:
Honey malt is unique. Several people have tried and failed to work up substitutes.
jager said:

The colors vary with each maltery, but they are essentially the same.

If you can't find any of the above, try some dark munich.
Well which one is it? :confused:

jager said:

I've read that before too--as honey malt is also called "brumalt". Having used all of them except brumalt, I can say that honey malt is very different from the others you mentioned. Maybe it is because of the different maltsters or whatever--but honestly I just don't think those will give anywhere near the right "flavor" that honey malt does. They are very different.

Honey malt has a unique malting process not like the others you mentioned. I'm still trying to find the link on the kilning process.

bird, I'd recommend ordering some-- to get the true character of it.

EDIT: A-ha!

Made by restricting the oxygen flow during the sprouting process, Honey Malt is essentially self-stewed. When the oxygen is cut off, the grain bed heats up, developing sugars and rich malt flavours. The malt is lightly kilned for a color color profile of 25 SRM and is devoid of astringent roast flavors. Honey malt has a diastatic power of 50, and needs to be mashed with a base malt. Use up to 15% in specialty beers for a unique flavour.

I've done a few beers with honey malt. Alone, it will add a maltier, sweet richness that is kind of unique. With honey, it will bring out the honey a bit more.

Use it in moderation, much like you'd use a biscuit or special B type malt (in that a little goes a LONG way). A .5 lb in 5 gallons is more than enough.

Brumalt is the more common European name of honey malt.

Melanoidin. Adds red color and intensifies malt character. Use in amber and dark lagers, Scottish ales, bock and doppelbock.

Aromatic. 19° L. A hybrid Munich malt. At a rate as low as 10% it will lend a distinct, almost exaggerated malt aroma and flavor.

Cara-vienne? It's given as a sub in a Double recipe I'm meaning to brew.... that said I Did order honey malts to compare for myself (along with all the other malts I can't get here, aromatic, special b, cara-munich.... the list goes on. I consider moving back to the states just to avoid shipping costs... but I digress. sorry)

Back