Metallic after taste??????

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

wolfgre

Reaction score
i just brewed a St. Paul Porter as my last batch. There is a hint of a metallic after taste? what causes this? is it something i did or a bad recipe?

Sorry you're not giving us enough infor to help you. What was the recipe, how log did you ferment it for, how long did you condition for how long was it in the bottles? You know, details?

There's any of number of things that could be going on from the more than likely scenario that your beer is just green, to issues with your water chemistry, to a possible infection.

But since we have no info, anything is just conjecture. Sadly my psychic brewing power only seems to work on the 5th Tuesday of the month and only reaches to my brew closet. ;)

I've noticed that some of my darker beers had a slight metallic after taste in the past, and I found out that oxidation can work with roasted grains to give that metallic aftertaste.

My gut says that there is some slight oxidation in the beer, and that there is some dark roasted grain in there.

I've had a very strong metallic taste on three occasions.
The first time it happened was when I used an enameled pot with a chip in the enamel to boil. I retired that pot immediately.
The other two times, I was using Wy1028 and got the taste when the beer was young, but the problem completely disappeared after waiting for another few weeks. I have no idea what caused it, but waiting definitely cured it.

-a.

SPECIALTY GRAIN
--0.5 lbs Simpson’s Chocolate
--0.5 lbs Simpson’s Dark Crystal
FERMENTABLES
--6 lbs Dark malt syrup
--1 lbs Dark dry malt extract
HOPS & FLAVORINGS
--2 oz Cluster (60 min)
--1 oz Cascade (1 min)

3 weeks primary, 2 weeks bottle conditioning

does this help to diagnose my problem?

I had a stout that I brewed that had a metallic aftertaste as well. I attributed mine to my aluminum kettle! ( I know I know, don't ask)

The week before I used oxyclean in my kettle to remove some labels and clean the bottles!! I discovered the hard way that oxyclean and aluminum do not mix!

Fortunately every batch before and after has been fine and I no longer use oxyclean in aluminum.

Hope you find the problem!!

Back