what kind of beer is this?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

burtonbaton

Reaction score
So I have some leftover specialty grains and hops for various reasons and think I might have a "wee heavy" type beer on my hands, but this would only be my 4th batch, so what will I have if I make this? Is there something I should add to make it better or just go with this and see what happens? I'd like to do that, as long as it will be drinkable. Right now I'm only planning to buy DME and yeast, everything else is leftovers. Any suggestions to make this a wee bit better would be welcome.

8? lbs of DME (I'll use beercalculus to get an exact amount)
1/2 lb honey malt
1/2 lb aromatic
6 oz English roasted barley

1/2 oz. Magnum hops @ 60 min

According to Beercalculus this hits within the style of a Strong Scotch Ale, but I'm not sure that's what I'll really get with these ingredients.

14.4%

I also have some 7.5% Perle, but I feel like I could use that more easily in another beer, but if you think would be better, I could use that instead.

Without calculating any numbers, looks similar to an Irish Red - mostly base malt, some sweetness from the honey malt (instead of some crystal malt), some roast from the RB (though perhaps too much) and a single, bittering hop addition.

it's a frankenbeverage! they have become my specialty. :)

i think that you are correct - that you will not end up with a wee heavy.
i'd add some biscuit and/or crystal, and go for it.

I would wait and save the DME, get more specialty grains and do 2 batches!

Back