How to enter prehopped kits...

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

howabouttheiris

Reaction score
So if I have a kit, like a 1.9kg can of a specific brand, how do I enter it into software like Beer Engine?

Is there a known conversion to x kg of dextrose, x kg of LME and x oz of a specific hop?

You could email the manufacturer or look on their website.

Without the information I would go by the style of the kit and enter a flat amount of LME + the weight of any sugars in the kit. Shoot for middle to lower range of the IBU for the style.

Unless the kit lists a target IBU, you'd have to guess. BF's method is as good as any. Pick a hop and fiddle with the bittering add until you hit the number.

Thanks... I was able to get the IBU from online (which I faked with a single hop) and add LME to get to my initial gravity reading.

It gives me a record of the additions and net IBU / ABV.

I plan to use these intial 3 batches just to find the IBU that I like. (and the ABV to ensure I am making something between water and moonshine.

I made a bet that I can create a 'go-to standard always-in-one-of-the-kegs' drinking beer in 8 attempts.

Back