using the swamp cooler

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Suddy

Reaction score
I have a edwords haus ale in the swamp cooler right now. I checked the temp this morn and it was at 57 degrees. I am using safale us-05. Is this temp to low? Is my yeast going to do dormant or die out at this temp?

Yeast will not die from low temperatures unless you freeze them. The recommended fermenting temps for us-05 is 59F-75F, so you may make them go dormant at 57. However, just take the fermenter out of the cooler and it'll be fine. You'll probably have to put it back in the cooler at some point when the temps get near 70.

I would just pour a pitcher of hot tap water into the swamp cooler. Or carefully add a few pints of boiling water to bring the temp up to the low sixties.

You're going to have a very slow fermentation. US-05 doesn't produce a lot of of flavors at the high end of its range, so get that fermenter up to 65° or so and let those little buggers get to work.

little warm water to up the temps and a 25$ aquarium heater to maintain the temp that's all you need when the temp is too low.

I would just pour a pitcher of hot tap water into the swamp cooler. Or carefully add a few pints of boiling water to bring the temp up to the low sixties.

naw...not necessary. assuming its the 'wet t-shirt around the primary in a tub of water' type cooler, just remove the t-shirt.

heating up the water in the cooler only heats that water. it still evaporates and cools the primary, and it would take probably 10-12 hours to see that warmer water affect the 5+ gallons of wort.

remove the t-shirt and it won't be evaporating much, and the heat from fermentation will kick up the temp a few degrees.

naw...not necessary. assuming its the 'wet t-shirt around the primary in a tub of water' type cooler, just remove the t-shirt.

heating up the water in the cooler only heats that water. it still evaporates and cools the primary, and it would take probably 10-12 hours to see that warmer water affect the 5+ gallons of wort.

remove the t-shirt and it won't be evaporating much, and the heat from fermentation will kick up the temp a few degrees.

Reminds me of Iraq. We used to put hot as hell water bottles in a wet sock and leave in the shade and the wind would cool them down quite nice... Good times.

Latest posts

Back