Anyone smoke hops?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Just running some numbers because I have time on my hands...

If one were to add a pint of tincture (which itself has 1 ounce of goods in it), that would bump the ABV up something like 2.5-3% in a standard 5 gallon brew (one should probably assume 3% to be safe). So if one is going the tincture route, the best bet would be to roll with a brew that is naturally around 6-6.5% finishing ABV, and use a strain tolerant of high alcohol levels (such as WLP007).

I'd further recommend a darker style that has a nice hop influence, to limit/mask any potentially negative flavors/aromas the tincture might add. From where I'm sitting, Everclear is flavorless and fairly neutral, but you never know.

Something that I'm considering when I have the time, etc, to do this would be the Fiend's Manna brew in my sig, backed down to about 6.5% ABV, with the hops additions likewise curbed. Tincture added at bottling, along with the priming sugar (to ensure even distribution).

My only question is, will 1 ounce distributed between a 5 gallon batch be enough? I'm very temped to say yes, as that would be about .5 gram per bottle equivalent. And if you have the really good stuff, that's all you should need. One thing is for certain, though: I doubt one could get away with using more than a pint/500 ml of tincture in a 5 gallon batch. It'd just be too much booze.

For making tincture I'd suggest some BHO mixed with everclear, my own thoughts are that a straight everclear tincture, check up on making greendragon, would not be as effective as BHO mixed with high percentage alchohol.

I have been on other websites highly dedicated to cultivating illegal plants and other things and have neverseen any issues! I can guarantee the DEA is not worried about a homebrew forum where a couple people are conversing about cannabis and magic mushroom brew! You really need to chill out and quit being uptight and paranoid. Its just good old fun conversation and brainstorming! CHILL OUT!:mug: Why would it taste like ****? Have you tried it or is that just your opinion on something you have never done? To each their own!

Most likely those sections of these message boards or the whole thing were behind some sort of firewall and access had to be granted on a per user basis.

And if you think that topics like these cannot get a message board in trouble, you are absolutely dead wrong. Do you guys ever wonder why talking about distilling is not allowed here and any topics referring to it are locked or deleted?

Message board administrators can be sued for slander/libel etc even if they were not the ones to make the comments, so tell me how talking about using controlled substances is any different legally?

That said, let us know how this turns out. :)

hey fastricky - i'm just over in jersey (bergen county) and i'm sure you can get everclear here. if you can't find in the city, just take the bus or path to hoboken. quite positive we sell it here.

Go Irie!

Mission #1 for me is to find some Everclear... hope to do so by this weekend.

Banane40.gif

10 characters

Most likely those sections of these message boards or the whole thing were behind some sort of firewall and access had to be granted on a per user basis.

not to my knowledge... dissemination of information and discussion is legal and does not need to happen behind closed doors. take a look around the web. people will withhold locations when they admit pursuing illegal activities, but anyone can access the discussions.

I agree with not discussing distillation here, as that is not the intent of the board. But as far as not discussing a subject because of legality... how many people on this board are over the federal limit of 100/200 gallons annually. we are not above reproach.

FWIW, seems like a Mod already chimed in on this thread, seeing it in good fun like several of the rest of us...

RHAHB

my major problem with this entire idea is using an ounce of our hop friend's cousin. thats really expensive.

well...i guess it would depend on the effects, per glass, but it still seems pricey to me.

but if someone wants to take the hit for the team i would be real curious how this would turn out

How much would an ounce be? You can tell I am not "in the loop" in any way shape or form when it comes to these types of things.

Also, I don't exactly see the need to use an ounce if you are attempting to get the psychoactive effects and not any bittering from the Sativa. You could just use enough to get a good "Hi" in each bottle, would easily be less than an ounce I would think. Doesn't there come a point where you can't get any high-er?

i can see some good reasons for wanting to do this if you're averse to smoking or are in a situation where you can't smoke (living in dc i understand it all too well).

but for me there is no possible hemp beer that could be more enjoyable than a good strong beer and a joint of the really good stuff. i think the reason you don't see a lot of people doing it (even though the two groups of enthusiasts have considerable overlap) is that the whole is usually not better than the sum of its parts.

How much would an ounce be? You can tell I am not "in the loop" in any way shape or form when it comes to these types of things.
an ounce of the best you can find is at least $300 in most parts of the country, street value. depending who you know, you can get it for much less.

I would say that someone should smoke some meat and use beer soaked hops on the coals to produce the smoke.

that sounds good as well up north matt. but the green dragon sounds better ill see if i can " talk my friends into it," excpet with maybe a BMC instead of soda

an ounce of the best you can find is at least $300 in most parts of the country, street value. depending who you know, you can get it for much less.

Not if you grow it. This is a homebrew forum, after all. If one had to actually pay street prices for an O of the goods, then I'd say think about what you're doing before you do it (unless said person has a lot of disposable income).

(FYI: Not admitting to anything here, of course.)

You really need to chill out and quit being uptight and paranoid. Its just good old fun conversation and brainstorming! CHILL OUT!:mug: Why would it taste like ****? Have you tried it or is that just your opinion on something you have never done? To each their own!

I've never brewed with fungi, but the special fungi referred to are generally not so tasty. I'm not against any of what is being discussed here just looking out for this board, it's a great resource. I've just seen bad things happen to otherwise lawful message boards before because of these sorts of discussions.

That said I agree, I'm sure no one is snooping in on this board looking for criminals.

This is the stupidest thing I've read on this damn forum! Instead of your next brew session, get your head checked!:rockin::cross:;)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back