Semantics

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

KayaBrew

Reaction score
I've noticed over the past few weeks a lot of folks are referring to "Extract with Steeping Grains" kits as "Partial Mash". Maybe I'm just being a ****** here, but they are NOT the same. Steeping grains is NOT the same as mashing. Sorry, but let's call a spade a spade here.

I've noticed over the past few weeks a lot of folks are referring to "Extract with Steeping Grains" kits as "Partial Mash". Maybe I'm just being a ****** here, but they are NOT the same. Steeping grains is NOT the same as mashing. Sorry, but let's call a spade a spade here.

So why are you so upset about it?

Well, I'm not upset. I just needed to vent. I'm RDWHAHB right now. It's an EXTRACT WITH STEEPING GRAINS brew:p.

Well, I think it is important to note the difference. I noticed the same thing when I started as well. It's almost as if the terms are used interchangeably, which is not accurate.

Mashing and steeping are similar in procedure (which is why most noobs get confused), but completely different in purpose and function.

While we're on the subject, I noticed in my homebrew catalog they have kits called 'Mini-Mash' kits, which I'm assuming are the same thing as 'partial mash'. I do realize that kits with steeping grains are not the same thing though.

You are quite correct; they are not the same. We go through this every year at this time- there is an influx of n00bs that get the terms and procedures confused. Just set them straight nicely, and we'll do it again next year.

Back