Smell after fermentation

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

hawkeyes

Reaction score
So when fermenation is done, I open up the bucket to get a sample for FG. Is it normal to have a odd smell? Is it the krausen on the side of the bucket. What smell is normal?

What were you brewing, and what do you mean by "odd"?

Jalapeno Pepper Ale, Cream ale base. I used us-05. I guess its a strong sour smell. It's hard to describe. All my buckets end up with this smell after fermentation is complete. I am starting to wonder if I should either replace all my buckets or move to glass carboys.

Jalapeno Pepper Ale, Cream ale base. I used us-05. I guess its a strong sour smell. It's hard to describe. All my buckets end up with this smell after fermentation is complete. I am starting to wonder if I should either replace all my buckets or move to glass carboys.

My buckets smell like yeast after I've fermented a batch. I give them an immediate rinse, an overnight soak with homemade PBW (2 parts Oxy, 1 part TSP), another really good rinse and then store them inside to dry. The smell is almost completely done after a few days.

Most ferments do have some sort of odor, depends on the yeast and hop combination. Some odors linger after washing the buckets. I have no idea what jalepenos do to the smell either.

I fill my primary buckets with PBW after every batch to clear out whatever odors and residues might linger, odor hasn't been a problem. Putting the dry buckets in the sun for a while will help dispel odors too. As long as the buckets are clean and sanitized a little residual odor shouldn't be a problem.

I guess I am more concern of what it smells like after fermentation with the beer inside. Should it be a sourish smell? It doesn't smell good.

I guess I am more concern of what it smells like after fermentation with the beer inside. Should it be a sourish smell? It doesn't smell good.

It shouldn't be sour, but I think a lot of people have different terms for how something smells too.

Does it smell sulfur-ish? A lot of beers can have a bit of that smell - in my opinion, especially when there's not a large hop aroma.

How does it taste?

It shouldn't be sour, but I think a lot of people have different terms for how something smells too.

Does it smell sulfur-ish? A lot of beers can have a bit of that smell - in my opinion, especially when there's not a large hop aroma.

How does it taste?

No Sulfur-ish smell, it's hard to describe. Right now I can't really smell it because I added jalapenos. Now it just smells like jalapenos. The taste is fine.

The taste is fine? You're good as gold. I have drank some clean, tasty beers that smelled dubiously rank on bottling day but they tasted right. A variety of odors from chemical/ alcohol; sourish (usually big stouts) to a horrible rancid squash smell in a butternut beer I once made that had cleaned up by the time the beer had carb'd. That one I was particularly worried about- turned out to be one of the better brews I have made. RDWHAHB. :mug:

I have also experienced some lingering fermenter stink that has no detectable affect on future beers- to my finely tuned (mild sarcasm) palate.

May be inappropriate to respond since I use glass carboys but my carboys always smell very much like what the beer smells and tastes like when finished.

Latest posts

Back