Best way to cut the top off of a keg

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
dallasdb said:
Take 15 minutes and build a jig, well worth the time and effort for a nice clean cut!

If you're only cutting one, I feel the jig is a waste of time. It might come in handy if you plan to do a lot of keggles. In the 10 or 15 minutes it would've taken to build the jig, not counting the added trip to the hardware store for the components of the jig, I used a tape measure and a pencil to draw out my circle on the keg and cut the hole with an angle grinder with cutting disc. It really wasn't as big of a deal as some make it out to be. I didn't even eat up a whole disc.

I've run the guard against the top ring of the keg (where the handles are) as a guide before. Works pretty well and requires nothing extra. You just need to not go too fast, or too deep, on it. Still, I can have at least one keg top cut in less time than it takes to make the jig.

I'll probably use the pipe fitting for the next one I cut.

Golddiggie said:
You just need to not go too fast, or too deep, on it.

Yeah, that's the key to the whole thing. You have to let the disc do the cutting and not try to force it. If you force it you will go through disc after disc.

mr_cad said:
When using a cutting wheel/disc always wear a face shield and ear protection. Long sleeves and gloves are highly recommended. I had a disc explode on me once and a piece hit me just below the eye. I don't take chances anymore. I always wear protective equipment while working in my shop. As for ear protection I come from a family of masons and most of them can't hear very well now that they are older. This from using powertools and brick saws with no hearing protection. Consider the cost of emergency room vs cost of safety gear and the gear wins everytime.

Gloves and long sleevs are not to be used with power tools. Metel shop 101. Both can get cought and do so real damage to you nd your tools. Hence why shop worker wear 3/4 sleeves.

Gloves and long sleevs are not to be used with power tools. Metel shop 101. Both can get cought and do so real damage to you nd your tools. Hence why shop worker wear 3/4 sleeves.

You ever get hit with red hot metal flying through the air?? I have, which is why I tend to wear a long sleeve shirt (with tight cuffs) and working gloves (leather) when doing such things. I'm getting ready to purchase a leather apron for use when welding too. :ban:

I used the pvc jig for cutting my last keggle. It really is great for those of us not blessed with freehand precision. Only downside seems to be that the hole can only be so big before the tool runs into the keg chime.

One of these days Im gonna build myself a new mash-tun with an upside-down sanke - cut the bottom, and use the valve opening to drain my wort. Having too small an opening seems like it'd be a pita for mixing and dumping grain. Ill give the guard-guide technique a try. At worst ill grind it out from there.

Used a cut off wheel and then cleaned it up with a grinder. The flash makes it look sketchy but its actually really clean.

image-3531869352.jpg

Also, I just made a circle with a sharpie and went for it. My only regret is that I cut it out to about 14", and now I cant find a lid that'll fit it. Guess Ill have to make one.

Also, I just made a circle with a sharpie and went for it. My only regret is that I cut it out to about 14", and now I cant find a lid that'll fit it. Guess Ill have to make one.

Tack some SS washers to the "lid" you just removed :D

Can you give a little more detail on how to utilize this? I'm having a hard time envisioning it. Thanks

Remove the valve, and spear, from the keg. Slip the 90 degree segment from the 'T' into the hole that's where the valve went. Rest the grinder against either end of the 'T' so that the blade is away from you. Turn on tool and rotate around, letting the T (a fixed rotation point) guiding your circle.

I usually mark a line with a sharpie on the keg top before cutting. That way I have something to follow along with.

Golddiggie

Thanks for the reply. I was trying to envision something secured to the grinder but a fixed rotation point makes sense. You could even slip on varying lengths of pvc to adjust the cut. This is super simple and cheap. I like it!

I just adjust how the grinder rests against it to alter the cut. Even easier.

It did take a trip to Lowe's with one of the stoppers I was using in my keg fermenters to figure out what size T fitting to get. At least I only had to buy one, and not return it. :rockin:

Actually I was thinking of making a false bottom out of it. decisions decisions...

I wouldn't... Too much work to adapt it into one. Plus, you'll have to fix the valve hole.

I use one from my BK as the cover for my mash tun keggle. I simply clamp a TC cap over the valve opening so it doesn't send heat right up it (and allow things to drop in). :D

Here are some photos of mine, and a link to the cutting video. Angle grinder with a cutoff disk, a pvc 'T', two pieces of slotted angle and some zip ties made for a quick and effective cutting jig!

image-2253408258.jpg

[ame]http://youtu.be/xPgasVWYpAk[/ame]

Back