Can blowoff be fermented?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

toast

Reaction score
I have lost about a gallon of my batch through blowoff due to an agressive fermentation. I know that my growlers that collected the blowoff are not sanitized, but they are clean. After drinking whatever beer I had in them they were rinsed at once and dried on my bottle tree, then capped once completely dry. What are the chances of successfully fermenting them on their own? Like say if I were to stick an airlock in each one and let them do their own thing? Just the thought of dumping it makes me sad...
Below is what it looks like. Sorry for the sideways picture.
**Note the case of swingtop bottles on top of the lid to prevent an explosion...The lid of the fermenter is bowed out pretty bad.

C360_2012-01-30-17-53-44.jpg

If you've got extra airlocks, why not give it a go? I have no experience with it, perhaps somebody else does?

The reason why I ask is that it doesn't taste like bitter krausen. I guess it's because I tried to get away with adding 6 gallons of wort to the fermenter instead of 5, so I didn't have the extra head space. I tasted a little when I transfered it from 3 growlers into 2. It still tastes pretty much like sweet wort. Might as well give it a shot and see what happens instead of dumping it down the drain right away. I was wondering if anyone here had something like this happen to them, or attempted this before. F-it...So I stuck some airlocks on them and they are actively fermenting..now I wait and see, I guess?

IMG_1842.jpg

That much wort coming out seems odd to me. Is your blow off tube submerged below the wort in your bucket? I think this would cause it to pump more wort out. The hose should just be at the top to release all of the co2 being created and some of the krausen if its bad enough.

That much wort coming out seems odd to me. Is your blow off tube submerged below the wort in your bucket? I think this would cause it to pump more wort out. The hose should just be at the top to release all of the co2 being created and some of the krausen if its bad enough.

I checked that. It's no more than .25 of an inch into the inside.I'm guessing that the high OG cause such an aggressive fermentation. When it was blowing off, nothing but foam was travelling through the blowoff hose into the growler...There it went back into a liquid form, that's all the wort that you seeing in the picture.

Back