Any reason not to use swing-top bottles?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

agurkas

Reaction score
I am going to brew my 1st batch next week. I really don't trust myself to do the caps right. So I wonder if I should just buy bunch of 16oz or 32oz swing-tops.
Is there any considerable reason I should not do swing-tops?
I am planning on brewing higher "octane" stuff.

BTW, if swing-tops are OK, where did you buy them online?
My local shop has them, but they are $3.50 per.

I am going to brew my 1st batch next week. I really don't trust myself to do the caps right. So I wonder if I should just buy bunch of 16oz or 32oz swing-tops.
Is there any considerable reason I should not do swing-tops?
I am planning on brewing higher "octane" stuff.

BTW, if swing-tops are OK, where did you buy them online?
My local shop has them, but they are $3.50 per.

i've always used swing tops. never had any issues with them. but i'm not nearly as pedantic as some people on this board seem to be.

anyway, it's pretty hard to mess up capping bottles. just give it a tug before you put it in the closet

edit: buy bottles at a LHBS, its much cheaper not having to pay for shipping and worry about breakage

Shipping will be as much if not more than cost of bottles. Buy local. Sometimes you can find a gem on ebay. Good luck

Buy a case of Grolsch swing tops. Have a party, and pour the beer for friends. Keep the cool bottles.

Yea, or fischers, they are bigger and brown. You can also check out yard sales and salvation army/goodwill type stores or re-stores.:mug:
The only problem you would ever have is if you want to enter them in competitions, some competitions don't take swingtops.

Back