Peach Beer?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Slappy White

Reaction score
I was thinking about doing a peach beer. I was wondering if anyone has ever tasted a peach beer or actually made a peach beer. If so, how did it taste, and how did you go about making it.

I made an attempt at a peach wheat. I used frozen peaches, and well the flavor of them fadded fast. The beer came out great, I was just wanting alot more peach flavor than what I got. Next time, I might just use a peach flavor addetive.....

I am considering making a peach beer for the crowd this summer. I plan on taking a plain American Wheat recipe and adding fruit to the secondary. This is what I would use:
jan_pics_022-2.jpg

I used Oregon canned peach puree when I made a peach wheat. I racked five gallons of beer onto one can of puree. The flavor was good but pretty subtle, and it faded fast.

Dogfish Head's Festina Pêche is a very nice beer. It's supposed to be a "neo-Berliner style Weisse," fermented with peach juice, not sure if they're actually fermenting out with lactobacillus or not like a true Berliner Weiss. By far the best fruit beer I've ever had, and one of the better, most refreshing beers I've had.

I used Oregon canned peach puree when I made a peach wheat. I racked five gallons of beer onto one can of puree. The flavor was good but pretty subtle, and it faded fast.

So what would you do next time? Two cans? Add some flavor extract to supplement at bottling?

So what would you do next time? Two cans? Add some flavor extract to supplement at bottling?

I think that extract flavor tends to stay longer. If you want to ensure that the peach flavor is pronounced, I would have some ready at bottling. You can add it to the bottling bucket and try it a little at a time. I thought about adding a fruit flavor to my american wheat.

I did a peach wheat about 6 weeks ago. A simple extract recipe. Added about 7 lbs of frozen peaches into primary and another 6 or so in the secondary. Used the organic ones from Whole Foods. We were shooting for very peachy (this one was for SWMBO) and thats exactly what we got. I had heard that peach flavor was delicate and subtle so we really overdid it. It tastes great though.

Good luck.

D

I think ill try 5 lbs to mine in about a week to my secondary and rack on top...my cousin owns a peach farm and is going to hook my up with the ripest donut peaches he can get for me.(donut peaches have no core and look like donuts and are extremely sweet) Hopefully the extra sweetness will help with how the beer turns out.

I think ill try 5 lbs to mine in about a week to my secondary and rack on top...my cousin owns a peach farm and is going to hook my up with the ripest donut peaches he can get for me.(donut peaches have no core and look like donuts and are extremely sweet) Hopefully the extra sweetness will help with how the beer turns out.

When adding peaches to the secondary, how to you make sure they don't introduce any nasties to the beer? Do they need to be boiled or something. Just sounds to easy!

You definitely dont want to boil them. Boiling releases pectin and it would make for some nasty flavors in beer. You just need to add the fruit to a pot with a little water (not even enough to cover the fruit) and bring it up to 160 for about 10 minutes. That will be plenty of sanitation.

You definitely dont want to boil them. Boiling releases pectin and it would make for some nasty flavors in beer. You just need to add the fruit to a pot with a little water (not even enough to cover the fruit) and bring it up to 160 for about 10 minutes. That will be plenty of sanitation.

So if its puree or some kind of canned variation no pre-cooking is required?

Back