ZAP PAP or cooler.

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ZAP PAP or Cooler

• Zap PAP Sparge Buckets

• 40 quart cooler with copper pipe

• 40 quart cooler with PVC Pipe

• Wilcard???

Results are only viewable after voting.

timmlimestone

Reaction score
We have been using a Zap PAP lauter setup for the sparging benefits for the last couple of batches, but i am intrigued by the cooler setup. Which is better??

IrregularPulse said:
what is a Zap pap? Just when i think I got this brewin' thing figured out someone throws out a word like Zap Pap!

It's in the Papazian book. Two buckets, one inside the other. The 'inner' one has a whole bunch of teeny holes drilled in it.

Varying reviews on the PITA factor/efficiency.(at least on this site)

I've done Zap Pap, cooler with a manifold and cooler with a braid. The last works great for batch sparging which I do almost exclusively now. Otherwise the manifold for fly sparging - but you need to design the manifold correctly for your cooler. The Zap Pap works but is a PITA, cheap though :rockin:

GT

I've brewed with a Zap-Zap setup for my last 5 or 6 batches. (Note: I thought it was Zap-Zap but Zap-Pap makes MUCH more sense!) I've gotten decent efficiency with it (75-80%) but as Got Trub pointed out, it is a serious PITA! It sucks to clean (imagine rinsing out a bucket with a thousand holes in the bottom...) and after your sparge, you've gotta keep the two buckets together until you transport your grain to wherever you dump it (unless you want little droplets of wort all over the garage/kitchen/etc.). In my case I had a spare bucket lying around so it made the transition from extract to AG really easy, but I'm already looking into a cooler system. In other words, if you've got the spare equipment, play around and give it a shot. But if you're in the market for buying something new, don't waste your time.

Didn't realize how old this post was, my bad...

Latest posts

Back