Where's the leak?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

HoppyDaze

Reaction score
img0880wy.jpg

So I have tightened everything and still can't seem to locate the leak. As you can see the second gauge is pinned even though I have turned the gas off on that one. I pull the release valve and it just shoots right back up. I've burned this tank of gas in two weeks :( . What should I do? My system has always worked perfectly so I don't have mush experience in the trouble shooting department.

Thanks!

Sounds like that body is stuck. Take it apart to find the actual cause. I would get a 'rebuild kit' for the body/regulator first though. Since there's no real way to know what you'll find in there. I'd also put some check valves on the regulator where the gas lines connect to it.

Sounds like that body is stuck. Take it apart to find the actual cause. I would get a 'rebuild kit' for the body/regulator first though. Since there's no real way to know what you'll find in there. I'd also put some check valves on the regulator where the gas lines connect to it.

what part is the body? lol

what part is the body? lol

It's the shiny part between the gauges. The part that has the knob you turn to control the amount of gas coming out of the tank. It's below the low pressure gauge.

Also, get some check valves that also include shutoffs on them. Then you can disconnect the gas line from either body, with that valve closed, and not worry.

Yea. Try jiggling it after you spray it and do everything. Who knows if it's the shutoff valve on the tank, gauge or the disconnects. Things move and vibrate so you may just need to add some tape to the junctions.

Hoppy Daze, I have the same exact situation as you..... Pegged second gauge... went thru 5# in three weeks ......I do have Check valves as Gold Diggie has mentioned ....I am thinking it is the body/Dial-y thing.....I have check valve closed ...... newish regulator < one year old ....I have a fresh 5er ready this evening for testing I am gonna pump 30 psi in and go for the foamy/soapy thing

Good luck and I will post my notes

Cheers and

GO BEER !!!!

I don't really know what a check valve is. Does it go where the release valve is?

A check valve is a one-way valve that prevents anything from flowing back into the regulator. It's a good safety device, because if beer gets into the regulator it can ruin it pretty easily.

Most of us use ball valve shutoffs on our regulars, and a lot of them come with built-in check valves.

Like this:
3a5a06eb1ef742efb42aab4f9718baf5-280x0.jpg

If you're interested in upgrading, you should be able to get them at any of the big keg supply places, I'd suggest checking out Birdman or KegConnection.

the thing with the key ring is a safety device ....to much pressure and it blows (doing it's job).... the check valve on mine is a quarter turn (on-off) valve that basically shuts off the gas to you r second line ...

A check valve is a one-way valve that prevents anything from flowing back into the regulator. It's a good safety device, because if beer gets into the regulator it can ruin it pretty easily.

Most of us use ball valve shutoffs on our regulars, and a lot of them come with built-in check valves.

Like this:
3a5a06eb1ef742efb42aab4f9718baf5-280x0.jpg

If you're interested in upgrading, you should be able to get them at any of the big keg supply places, I'd suggest checking out Birdman or KegConnection.

Yeah...I found it at Keg Connection. Now I understand. I should probably get a couple of those after I get this issue fixed.

Thanks a lot for your help.

Not sure what happened to my other reply, I don't think it was necessary to delete the whole thing just because I was backing up HoppyDaze. You could have just edited it for me, I had what I thought was a pretty helpful response written out :confused:

Hoppy, that second regulator needs some work. There's a diaphragm in the body of the regulator, underneath the knob/screw to adjust pressure. If there's a problem with the diaphragm, it won't be able to regulate the pressure. It could be that there's a piece of debris stuck in there, it happens sometimes. Try closing the tank, removing the tubing, opening up the regulator all the way then quickly cracking the tank valve open a few times to blast CO2 through. That might work to get the debris out.

If that doesn't work, you'll need to take apart the regulator and check it out. You can buy a rebuild kit that will contain a replacement diaphragm, that would be cheaper than replacing the entire regulator.

My regulator set up looks exactly like your (Midwest Supplies' Brew Logic Dual Tap). I had the same regulator experience & Midwest called it "Regulator Creep". They walked me through some possible solutions that would work for awhile; then I'd experience the 'creep' again (sometimes pressure would build up so much the picnic tap would release and fill my fridge with beer.). After dealing with it for 6 months, Midwest send me a whole new regulator assembly (of course, now, I had an unknown leak from the keg side which drained my co2 tank overnight.)

In my short homebrewing experience, I think I've spent more time dinking with my keg set-up than time saved over bottling....

My regulator set up looks exactly like your (Midwest Supplies' Brew Logic Dual Tap). I had the same regulator experience & Midwest called it "Regulator Creep". They walked me through some possible solutions that would work for awhile; then I'd experience the 'creep' again (sometimes pressure would build up so much the picnic tap would release and fill my fridge with beer.). After dealing with it for 6 months, Midwest send me a whole new regulator assembly (of course, now, I had an unknown leak from the keg side which drained my co2 tank overnight.)

In my short homebrewing experience, I think I've spent more time dinking with my keg set-up than time saved over bottling....

This is very helpful. I think I will give them a call. They have solid customer service so I'm sure I can get it resolved.

Here is a PM i just recieved from Golddiggie:

I have zero tolerance for morons these days. Someone that doesn't even have a CLUE about gas regulators is putting himself in harms way due to stupidity. You should, at the very least, KNOW what the different [major] parts of the regulator are. I'm talking about the ones you see from the outside. Not knowing is just being lazy.

Are all people from NH like this? How embarrassing! LOL

Latest posts

Back