So quaker "quick Oats" come pre-toasted

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bctdi

Reaction score
So I am planning on brewing an oatmeal stout with flaked oats that I was going to toast. My lhbs was out of the flaked oats and recommended that I go pick up some quaker "quick oats". In the process of weighing them out, I noticed that they had a nice tan color to them and had that cookie aroma, so I went on their website , which said nothing about toasting in the process, so I called their 1-800 number and spoke with a rep from quaker who informed me that they are toasted at the factory after being rolled and steamed in order to give a better flavor. This maybe common knowledge, but it was news to me....now I don't have to toast them, so just to pass along the info to anyone who's interested in toasting their oats , Quaker already did it for you:rockin:

I toast the Quaker oats more then keep them in a brown paper bag for a week before I use them. Didn't know they were already toasted. Great info in case I get some from the LHBS. I'll know to extend my toasting. :rockin:

I think it's awesome that you even called them to find out. Did they think it was an odd question? Thank you for the info!

I think it's awesome that you even called them to find out. Did they think it was an odd question? Thank you for the info!

I actually prefaced the question by saying " this is going to be an odd question but" ........ The girl on the other end was extremely helpful, but needed to take a few seconds to get the info together. Apparently they have the whole oat process laid out for their reps to read off , which she did , and I told her I was making an oatmeal stout with Quaker oats. She thought that was awesome. She added that she thought it would be tasty.

Back