Help with some ingredients

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

allenH

Reaction score
I recieved a shipping conformation from a order I placed Saturday night, not entirely sure what I was thinking when I placed it (just got the kegerator online :cross:). By looking at it I'm guessing something with the pound of Chinook in the freezer. Any help making something good with this will be greatly appreciated.

10lb Briess 2 row
1lb Briess White Wheat
12oz Briess C120
12oz Caramel Pils
Nottingham

This will be my 4th AG and my efficiency is still in the crapper (57-61%), so this will most likely end up around 1.055.
I have the following hops on hand:
16oz Chinook (I'm thinking this is the reason for the C120)
8oz Centennial
1oz Magnum
2oz Palisade
2oz Summit
3oz Cascade
4oz Falconer's Flight

This is all crushed and will be bagged together, so I won't be able to seperate anything, I can go to the LHBS and get anything additional, the only limiting factor is my 7.5g pot. The fermentation chamber is set to 61 for another Nottingham batch I brewed last week (BCB Haus Pale Ale)

I like all of your ingredients very much aside from C120 and Nottingham. Would've went with C10 and US-05, or their liquid equivalents. Add 5-7% sugar and make a tasty IPA. The hops will be enough for 4 to 6 IPAs though. Better get crackin!

Yeah, pretty sure I was planning on a smaller Arrogant Bastard, that would explain the C120 but not the white wheat malt. I used US-05 on my first 8 extract/pm batches and just switched to Nottingham since my first AG batches called for it. I do have 3-5oz bags of corn sugar laying around.

Okay, good luck...

16oz Chinook: earthy/spicy grapefruit, some pine
8oz Centennial: citrus blend, fruity, some pine
1oz Magnum: clean, neutral bittering hop
2oz Palisade: stone fruits, grassy, kind of boring
2oz Summit: resiny dank tangerine, sometimes oniony
3oz Cascade: floral grapefruit
4oz Falconer's Flight: tropical fruit, citrus

Maybe that'll help you.

Bonus....just got a shipping confirmation on a new Perlick 525ss from eBay I bought for 36.99 shipped. I wonder what else I bought, haha

Ok bobbrews, I brewed this grain bill on 8/11. I did add 4oz acidulated malt, 1tsp calcium cholride, 1tsp gypsum (100% RO) and 6oz corn sugar. I used the following hop schedule:
1oz cascade FWH
.5 chinook @60
1oz chinook @10
1oz chinook @1
Dry hop 1oz chinook and cascade.
Fermented Nottingham @ 64 for 21 days. Cold crash and gelatin for 3 days. Put on gas for 1 week. First pint was pretty bitter, after another week, it is very good. I can really taste the c120 and it is very pleasing to me. Thanks for the input.

image-302628931.jpg

This is the first time I have used wheat in a beer, only 1lb, I am assuming that's where the cloudiness is from ( I did gelatin/cold crash this beer)

allenH said:
This is the first time I have used wheat in a beer, only 1lb, I am assuming that's where the cloudiness is from ( I did gelatin/cold crash this beer)

Wheat will actually help with clarity, your cloudiness is probably from dry hopping or chill haze

Still a bit cloudy, but it has rounded out very nicely compared to a couple of weeks ago. I will do this beer again, for sure.

image-2541872102.jpg

Back