Extract APA Recipe--Alpha King-ish

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

brandenn

Reaction score
I'm trying to make something close to Alpha King. I looked at the recipe here: http://brew365.com/beer_three_floyds_alpha_king.php and I have most of the ingredients, but my LHBS is closed and I'm a bit shy of a few things...

Here's what I have:

6.6 lbs Light LME
3 lbs Plain Light DME
1 lbs Munich
1 lbs Special B
1 lbs Crystal

4 oz Centennial Pellets
4 oz Centennial Leaf
1 oz Warrior
1 oz Cascade pellets
4 oz Cascade leaf
1 oz Columbus

Just tried Beersmith conversion for 12 lbs 2 row, and it gave me about 10 lbs Pale LME. Based on that, I was thinking of doing something like this:

Partial boil of 3 gallons, 5 gallon batch

1 lb Crystal
1/4 lbs Special B
1/4 lbs Munich

3 lbs DME at boil
1 oz Centennial (60 min)
.5 oz Warrior (30 min)
1 oz Cascade (15 min)
1.5 oz Centennial (5 min)
6.6 lbs LME at flame out
1 oz Centennial (dry hop)
1 oz Columbus (dry hop)

S05 yeast

I've never tried to create or modify any recipes before so I'm kind of winging it here... I'm not trying to clone Alpha King, just get a deliciously hoppy APA inspired by it.

Any thoughts?

Edit: I posted this in the Extract forums and tried to move/delete it but I guess non-paid members can't delete their own posts?

I am not an expert with melanoiden only having used it once, but I remember that I was very surprised how malty .25 lbs made my beer. I think you may want to up your Munich to compensate for the maltiness. Maybe do a search for substitutes? Either way it looks like good beer to me.

I am not an expert with melanoiden only having used it once, but I remember that I was very surprised how malty .25 lbs made my beer. I think you may want to up your Munich to compensate for the maltiness. Maybe do a search for substitutes? Either way it looks like good beer to me.

I'm currently at 1/4 lbs Munich instead of the 1/8 Melanoidin, you think I should go higher?

Well, I'm not really sure how melanoiden translates to Munich so I can't say for sure. Melanoiden seems "deeper" than Munich, but not quite as sweet. Maybe half a pound is the way you should go? I'd be surprised if only 1/4 pound Munich was as malty as 1/8 melanoiden. See if the search tool here says anything about it. I bet it has come up before somewhere. I love Munich, so I'd just probably toss the whole pound in, but I'm not sure how close that would come to replacing the melanoiden. I can say this though, I'd sure drink that beer! :D

Back