English Brown Ale Kit

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

monkey50187

Reaction score
Recipe Type
Extract
Yeast
Nottingham
Yeast Starter
None
Additional Yeast or Yeast Starter
None
Batch Size (Gallons)
5 gallons
Original Gravity
Final Gravity
Boiling Time (Minutes)
IBU
21-25
Primary Fermentation (# of Days & Temp)
4 days
Tasting Notes
Mild beer pleasant to drink.
Started the Boil on February 24, 2012

2 lb Amber DME
3.3 lb Amber LME

4 oz Chocolate Malt
6 oz Carapils
8 oz Caramil Malt

1 oz Willamette 4.9% Bittering Boiled 45 Mins
1 oz Willamette 4.9% Flavoring Boiled 10 Mins
1 oz Willamette 4.9% Aroma Hops Boiled 5 Mins

Yeast should have been one package of Nottingham Ale Yeast, but due to contamination I substituted for Safale US-05.

Instructions stated to only do primary fermentation for 4 to 7 days. Due to excessive cloudiness, I racked to a secondary for two days. Significant improvement in clarity by the second day.

Grains were steeped at 160 degrees for 20 minutes. I added them prior to the boil. I sparged the grains with 1/2 gallon of 160 degree water.

Fermented at a constant 65 degrees.

This is my first brew and I made several mistakes.

I didn't boil the bittering hops long enough. This should have been a 60 minute boil. Also I did not get the effect of the Nottingham Yeast due to I started it in 70 degree water and came back to find a dish towel hanging in it. (The rule: If you walk away bad things happen.) Due to this mishap I started a new yeast which happened to be the Safal. Options are limited when you start this project in the middle of the night.

I attempted to cool my wort in the 30 degree weather of winter with the lid on my pot. This was insufficient. I then placed the pot into my deep freezer. This worked but I fear was not accomplised quickly enought to have a proper cold break. Therefore leaving a significant amount of protein left floating. My original gravity appeared off (1.040). This may have been do to the addition of the sparge water.

Alright be brutal. This was my first shot and I have been reading the forum and books to attempt a good first batch. Supprisingly enough the beer tastes pretty good.

Is this from the Brewer's Best extract kit? I used it for my first batch as well and was pleased with the results. I also had difficulty cooling my wort quickly, but part of that I think is that I use a 32qt stock pot for my kettle, which has incredible heat retention. Everyone says that a copper-coil wort chiller is worth the investment.

I like the flavor, but I'm not crazy about the nose. Willamette is nice and mild for bittering, but I'm thinking of swapping Tettnang or Chinook for the aroma, next batch.

Back