My dog made it!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Hopdog1

Reaction score
My golden retriever ate some spent hops we threw in the yard, one hour later she had severe panting and fever 104. Thank God for pet poison control, they basically saved my dog because the vet had never heard of it! Apparently this doesn't happen with all breeds, but if it does your dog can die within a few hours. Just letting everyone know! It was just my second batch brewed, the wife almost shut the brewery down!!

Basically, the treatment is getting to a vet as soon as possible, induce vomiting if the dog has eaten it within a few hours. Ice baths for fever, Valium for agitation. And the life saving drug called dantrolene, which my dog was given one dose, and fever started coming right down. Luckily my wife and I work in the medical field and we started the ice baths immediately upon the dogs severe panting. A few hours later And Internet searches I figured out what was up and call pet poison control.

Wow, thanks for the info. Someone should link this in the PSA Dog/Hop sticky thread.

Glad to hear the dog is ok! I know I'd be heartbroken if mine died.

For those that do not know you can induce vomiting in a dog by feeding small spoon fulls of Hydrogen Peroxide to the dog.

Wow. Great news your dog made it! I try to be really careful about that. How horrible that could have been!

so very happy to hear he made a recovery. I try to be careful with the hops as my girl is my brewing assistant. I know I would be devastated if i accidently poisoned her.

Back