Using melanoidin malt in an English bitter

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Pommy

Reaction score
I've read about using melanoidin malt to simulate a decoction but would this be similar to the caramelisation of the wort for an English bitter? I'm working on a Timothy Taylor's Landlord clone and thought I may be able to adjust the grain bill rather than boiling down my first runnings. I like to have things work how I want where possible. :fro:

We've used it in our house red ale twice before. Not sure if we like it or not. May try to substitute a roasted malt next time - similar color with more of a nutty taste. We'll see.

I'd think that it will be too much for a ale like Landlord.

Landlord gets its flavour from the type of base malt - Golden Promise, I think - and the yeast, rather than specialty malt. I made Graham Wheeler's recipe from Brew Your Own Real Ale At Home, which is just Golden Promise and a touch of black patent malt (less than 1%). The black patent was such a small amount that it just added a touch of toastiness rather that any kind of roasted malt flavour.

I have used a small amount of melanoiden malt in beer where I wanted a bit of an increase in the maltiness without adding a new dimension to the beer. The last time I used it, I only used 0.25 lbs in a 23 lb grist bill and it made a difference.

Best of luck with the beer. Landlord is a favourite of mind (as you can tell) ;)

Latest posts

Back