Apfelwein - Epernay II or EC1118

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

earache

Reaction score
About to start a batch of EdWort's Apfelwein and have these two yeasts available. Tried to find Montrachet, but my local homebrew store didn't carry it. The guy who helped me totally bashed Montrachet and recommended Epernay II as a good alternative. What do you think?

Eric

I've made about 7-8 batches of cider. I like EC1118 the best so far. Very clean, low foam, quick fermenter. But thats just me.

Here's some yeast info on both those strains (from Jack Keller's site):

Epernay : Epernay is a Champagne yeast, meaning it was isolated in Champagne, France and is used in Champagne production. Epernay is used in bottle fermenting because it ferments slowly and is tolerant to cold temperatures with moderate foaming. It is also used for primary fermentations of still white wines.

Lalvin EC-1118 (Prise de Mousse) : This is the original, steady, low foamer, excellent for barrel fermentation or for working on heavy suspended pulps. It is one of the most popular wine yeasts in the world. It ferments well at low temperatures, flocculates well, and produces very compact lees. It is good for Champagne bases, secondary (bottle) fermentations, restarting stuck fermentations, and for late harvest grapes. It is also the yeast of choice for apple, crabapple, cranberry, hawthorn, and cherry wines. It has excellent organoleptic properties and should be in every vinter's refrigerator. Alcohol toxicity is 18% and it ferments relatively fast. It tolerates temperatures from 39-95° F. It is not, however, tolerant of concurrent malolactic fermentation.

Hope that helps. Regards, GF.

I just used Lalvin EC-118 based on the recommendation of my LHBS. I did not rehydrate it as instructed on the package however. I was just following along with the apfelwein instructions and added it in straight out of the package... You think that will cause any problems?

Well I ended up using EC-1118, didn't rehydrate either. My apfelwein is looking great, almost crystal clear. Fermented dry in about 2 weeks. I don't think you'll have any problems.

Back