Quick and dirty keg-spinning stand ideas

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ReeseAllen

Reaction score
I recently got a few corny kegs off Craigslist. To my eyes, they look like they've had a lot of miles (gallons?) put on them. I've gotten the impulse to try and shine them up a bit.

I hit a patch on one of them with my RO sander tonight, starting with 60 grit, followed by 100 and 220. I then moved to sanding by hand with 320, and finally a bit of wet sanding with 400. It's very shiny, my reflection is clear enough to make out facial features, but it's really just a rough whack at the job. Lots of swirls and other imperfections that I missed.

I realized that I need to be able to rotate the keg in place without rolling it on a surface to be able to sand this thing evenly and methodically and achieve the finish I am looking for. I'm looking for suggestions on how I might be able to arrange this without incurring a $100 trip to the hardware store. It seems like someone's got to have done something like this before.

First thing that pops into my head: Build a small U-shaped stand out of about $20 worth of 2x4's and wood screws. Two vertical lengths, spaced ~27 inches, extend up and have concentric holes drilled through them to hold an axle. As for clamping the keg concentrically at each end, that's a tougher problem.

You may laugh but I picked up a ShopSmith 3 in one power tool for free (wired wrong) with variable speed control. This with made plywood facepates having a wood ring at each end held cornys plus rotated them at app 190 rpm's. While rotating then hit them with a Milwaukee 9" body buffer with cutting compound on down to fine buffing compound. This ShopSmith will also swing a 15.5 gallon keg. My friend wanted shiney cornys I only want my cornys as funtional who looks inside your keezer?

Thats a pretty sweet setup. Just how many kegs is this thing spinning? You may also want to look into a high cut polish. You can achieve a real nice finish, depends how rough it is though.

I'm a mechanic and was looking for something similar for cutting the tops off. Brought them up to work and clamped them on the tire machine. Worked like a charm for cutting the tops but I think may turn too slow for sanding/polishing.
tom

Back