help with cyser

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

netmasta10bt

Reaction score
I found a recipe for a cyser and made a couple small changes... but I need some help.

the recipe is
1 gal apple juice (no preservatives) (didnt use it all to fit the below)
2 lbs honey
2 lbs light brown sugar
2 cinnamin sticks
5 dried cloves

when I got it in the 1gal glass jug the original gravity was off the scale of my beer hydrometer -- which only goes to 1.080.

I pitched a dried ale yeast rehydrated for 15 mintues...

It began to ferment for two weeks. I tested the gravity but it was still off the scale... I added yeast nutrient. A week later I pitched a pack of dried champagne yeast rehydrated for 15 mins. It never took off. Both of my dried yeasts were freshly bought.

It is still stuck 1 month later gravity off the scale. It's been sitting at 75degF. How can I get this beast to go?

Thanks.

Wait 3 or 4 years. You started around 1.220. A normal mead will start around 1.120 and take 6-18 months to finish fermenting. Also, this will finish very sweet because even a distiller's yeast will die around 22% ABV and you have enough sugar for 29%. If you are using a mead yeast, plan on 17% ABV and 1.100 residual sugar.

I would get another gallon of juice & mix the batch. That would put the mix around 1.135, which most mead and wine yeasts can handle.

It will still take 6-18 months to finish.

david_42:

Thanks for the quick reply! Sorry for not replying back soon. I did add another gallon of juice and split into two gallon containers... and low and behold! Fermentation took right off! Didn't have to repitch. It's been about 3 weeks now, and it definitley tastes of alcohol, but still pretty sweet -- will let it sit and excercise patience. :)

Thanks much!

Back