At Knockoff

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

daveofmacomb

Reaction score
I was considering making a beer...
TastyBrew.com | Recipes
and in the directions, it says...

"At knockoff drop wort temp to 180F and add hops, cover and let steep for at least 30 minutes."

Are they referring to the point after the boil? What is "at knock off"?Actually, here is the entire description if this helps?

Mash grains at 152F for 90 minutes. IF you batch sparge add another pound of 2-row Pale to compensate for the efficiency drop. Refer to the hopping notes below and you will get the intense hop flavor and aroma that is so special for this beer. If you need second opinions about this beer ask Denny C, Matt J, N8 or Rob Hudson...they have done a tasting of this beer. At knockoff drop wort temp to 180F and add hops, cover and let steep for at least 30 minutes. Dry Hop in secondary or direct into keg without removal and let sit for at least 14 days before serving.

"Knock off" or "knock out" means cutting off the flame. He or she means that you should cut the heat to the pot, drop the temperature (presumably to reduce DMS production), add hops then cover. It is far more common to cut the heat, add the hops, then chill to pitching temperature. I guess this person is trying to retain volatile hop compounds. It seems risky to me considering the DMS issue.

Back