barleywine questions

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

hayabusa

Reaction score
I'm making my first barley wine this week, hoping to drink it around this time next year. I am pretty much using the recipe in the 9-9 barleywine thread. couple of questions.

After the first runnings are collected I hear about people making a smaller beer with the 2nd runnings.

how do I calculate what to expect for OG of my second runnings - what are the thoughs on...

do I just start another 60/90 minute mash schedule or just batch sparge with just enough time for the grain bed to settle?

do I use the volume of water desired for my batch since the absorption ratio should be 0?

if time is short can I collect the 2'd beer's wort in a 5-gal bucket and put it in the kegerator for 5-7 days and then brew it?

thanks

I'm making my first barley wine this week, hoping to drink it around this time next year. I am pretty much using the recipe in the 9-9 barleywine thread. couple of questions.

After the first runnings are collected I hear about people making a smaller beer with the 2nd runnings.

- Yes. This is called partigyle brewing

how do I calculate what to expect for OG of my second runnings - what are the thoughs on..

Hard to know without knowing your system. I would just pull off enough gravity points for your first beer. Then sparge whatever volume you need for your second beer. Just have some DME around so you can adjust the OG to whatever you need for the second beer.

do I just start another 60/90 minute mash schedule or just batch sparge with just enough time for the grain bed to settle?

No need to "mash" again. The conversion is done. You just need to rinse the sugars out with sparge water.

do I use the volume of water desired for my batch since the absorption ratio should be 0?

Yes, including the volume you anticipate you will boil off

if time is short can I collect the 2'd beer's wort in a 5-gal bucket and put it in the kegerator for 5-7 days and then brew it?

Only if you boil it before storing it. Otherwise it is full of bacteria, especially lacto, which will sour your wort. A day or two if it is cold would be fine without.

GT

Latest posts

Back