Any hints at the flavor? Lager yeaster fermented at ale temps.

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mosquitocontrol

Reaction score
So its coming upon the 3-week date for two batches I bottled. I totally botched these with too many beers during brewing and a passed out drunk assisstant halfway through.

I was aiming for a Wanderlust Clone which is a cream type beer with lager yeast and a Brew Haus Pale Ale which I hear is very popular. I believe I switched the yeast on both of the batches. The cream got the pale ale yeast and the pale ale got the lager yeast. I was going on vacation, so I put both of the primarys in a bathtub filled with water and left for two weeks.

I came back and the temperature of the water was ~55F. Both had reached around 1.012 which didn't seem too bad. I secondaried both of them and left them for another 2 weeks. Then bottled.

Valentine's day will be 3 weeks, and like all my batches (up to around 10 or so) I plan on having my fiance test them first.

What do you expect they will taste like? What off flavors will come off of switching up the yeast? I got the gravity down, so I know they fermented properly (by luck I suppose) but I have no idea what they will taste like.

Does your fiancee like bubblegum? If so, the lager should be a hit. :)

I am still a little confused. Regardless of switching the yeast you still would have been fermenting both at ale temps.

It is not the switch that would cause off flavors it is the high temp on the lager yeast. That said, 55o is not really too terrible. Can you get the lager cold for a couple months? You should. That should clean it up fine.

Back