Refractometers

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

L0F

Reaction score
So there are a ton of cheap ones on the market, any recommendations on a solid, precise one that will read in gravity.

I figure nearly all the cheap ones are the same Chinese POS rebranded, who builds quality instrument at a fair price.

ATC is more important than getting one that reads in gravity. It's pretty easy to consult a chart to translate from brix to SG.

Disclaimer: I totally haven't researched this prior to posting, but can refractometers read after fermentation? I had previously understood that they didn't, but I've seen an episode of brewingTV where he mentioned reading from the refractometer and adjusting for reading fermented wort.

Once alcohol is present, it skews the reading. There are calculations that will get you close, but I just measure FG with a hydrometer since I want a taste anyway.

More info on the calculations can be found at http://seanterrill.com

Once alcohol is present, it skews the reading. There are calculations that will get you close, but I just measure FG with a hydrometer since I want a taste anyway.

How close is close? I've avoided getting one if they're only good for OG. I will never gave an issue with taking a sample at FG, because I will taste. But I'm a data junkie and I might consider getting one if it provides reasonable estimates mid-fermentation.

I actually haven't bothered trying it yet, but I've heard everything from within a point or two to wildly inaccurate. I have two batches to bottle soon, so maybe I'll give it a whirl. Even so, they're still handy if you need to check fermentation status. The reading may not be accurate without calculation, but you'll still know whether or not the sugars are dropping with only a tiny sample.

I actually haven't bothered trying it yet, but I've heard everything from within a point or two to wildly inaccurate. I have two batches to bottle soon, so maybe I'll give it a whirl. Even so, they're still handy if you need to check fermentation status. The reading may not be accurate without calculation, but you'll still know whether or not the sugars are dropping with only a tiny sample.

If you don't need the FG accuracy for determining ABV. The refractometer should show you equal numbers so you can confirm fermentation is finished.

Latest posts

Back