American Pale Ale recipe (my first recipe)

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mhochman

Reaction score
I didn't get much of a response on the beginner's forum, so I'm cross-posting here. Sorry if you had to read this twice, but I'd really love some feedback...

I have created my first recipe. I'm making an American Pale Ale. My goal is average gravity and bitterness for the style, but with a high level of citrus aroma and flavor. If you have ever tried Widmer Drifter, I want this to be somewhat similar. This is a mini-mash brew. Apologies if I should have posted this elsewhere, but I figure I'm still a beginner, so...

Any feedback would be appreciated. Be gentle!

Et Tu, Brew?
10-A American Pale Ale
Author: Michael Hochman
Date: 12/21/10

Size: 5.4 gal
Efficiency: 75.0%
Attenuation: 75.0%
Calories: 168.33 kcal per 12.0 fl oz

Original Gravity: 1.051 (1.045 - 1.060)
Terminal Gravity: 1.013 (1.010 - 1.015)
Color: 8.3 (5.0 - 14.0)
Alcohol: 4.97% (4.5% - 6.2%)
Bitterness: 38.9 (30.0 - 45.0)

Ingredients:
3 lb American 2-row (Mini Mash)
5 oz Cara-Pils® Malt (Mini Mash)
10 oz Caramel Malt 40L (Mini Mash)
2.0 lb Dry Light Extract (Full Boil)
2.0 lb Dry Light Extract - added during boil, boiled 15.0 min
.5 oz Cascade (5.5%) - added during boil, boiled 60.0 min
.5 oz Cascade (5.5%) - added during boil, boiled 30 min
1.0 oz Willamette (5.0%) - added during boil, boiled 15.0 min
1.0 oz Amarillo (8.5%) - added during boil, boiled 15.0 min
1.0 oz Summit (17.0%) - steeped after boil
1.0 ea WYeast 1272 American Ale II
1.0 oz Amarillo (8.5%) - added dry to secondary fermenter
1.0 oz Summit (17.0%) - added dry to secondary fermenter

Thanks!

Exactly, this recipe is really intricate in the hop aromas. Great for hop lovers. The malt profile is quite subdued; you'll have to search for it under all those hops, but what is there should be pretty well-balanced in flavor.

Exactly, this recipe is really intricate in the hop aromas. Great for hop lovers. The malt profile is quite subdued; you'll have to search for it under all those hops, but what is there should be pretty well-balanced in flavor.

I had debated adding a 1/2 pound or full pound of Vienna malt to add a touch more complexity and balance. Maybe I'll go back to that idea.

I had debated adding a 1/2 pound or full pound of Vienna malt to add a touch more complexity and balance. Maybe I'll go back to that idea.

I usually put a pound of Munich or Vienna in my PAs and IPAs (all-grain). Really adds some nice body and complexity. Definitely add or substitute a pound of either.

Alright, so here is my revised recipe. As suggested, a bit more complexity, due to Vienna Malt in the mash. I switched to different software after I realized the other wasn't taking into account hop pellets. As a result, I've increased the initial Cascade addition to a full ounce. The numbers are a little different than above, but still within style.

Recipe: Et Tu, Brew?
Style: 10A-American Ale-American Pale Ale

Recipe Overview

Wort Volume Before Boil: 3.00 US gals
Wort Volume After Boil: 2.50 US gals
Volume Transferred: 2.40 US gals
Water Added: 2.88 US gals
Volume At Pitching: 5.28 US gals
Final Batch Volume: 5.02 US gals
Expected Pre-Boil Gravity: 1.038 SG
Expected OG: 1.053 SG
Expected FG: 1.013 SG
Expected ABV: 5.3 %
Expected ABW: 4.1 %
Expected IBU (using Rager): 35.1
Expected Color: 7.6 SRM
Apparent Attenuation: 74.0 %
Mash Efficiency: 75.0 %
Boil Duration: 60.0 mins
Fermentation Temperature: 64 degF

Fermentables
US 2-Row Malt 2.00 lb (24.1 %) In Mash/Steeped
US Caramel 40L Malt 1.00 lb (12.0 %) In Mash/Steeped
US Vienna Malt 1.00 lb (12.0 %) In Mash/Steeped
US Carapils Malt 0.31 lb (3.8 %) In Mash/Steeped
Extract - Light Dried Malt Extract 2.00 lb (24.1 %) Start Of Boil
Extract - Light Dried Malt Extract 2.00 lb (24.1 %) End Of Boil

Hops
US Cascade (4.5 % alpha) 1.00 oz Loose Pellet Hops used 60 Min From End
US Cascade (4.5 % alpha) 0.50 oz Loose Pellet Hops used 30 Min From End
US Willamette (4.5 % alpha) 1.00 oz Loose Pellet Hops used 15 Min From End
US Amarillo (5.0 % alpha) 1.00 oz Loose Pellet Hops used 15 Min From End
US Summit (18.0 % alpha) 1.00 oz Loose Pellet Hops used At turn off
US Amarillo (5.0 % alpha) 1.00 oz Loose Pellet Hops used Dry-Hopped
US Summit (18.0 % alpha) 1.00 oz Loose Pellet Hops used Dry-Hopped

Yeast: Wyeast 1272-American Ale II

Mash Schedule
Mash Type: Extract with Mini-mash
Schedule Name:Single Step Infusion (68C/154F)
Step: Rest at 154 degF for 60 mins

Thanks to all who contributed. I'm very excited (and I certainly welcome additional notes).

Any reason for the 15 minute additions? You will boil off most of the flavor, all of the aroma, and won't get much ibu out of them. I would probably switch them to a five minute addition.

Any reason for the 15 minute additions? You will boil off most of the flavor, all of the aroma, and won't get much ibu out of them. I would probably switch them to a five minute addition.

That's exactly the kind of feedback I need. I didn't realize and will definitely make the change.

I don't Know what's up with software being so different, but my ibu's and ibu ratio seemed low. I've adjusted the second cascade addition to a full ounce and that looks better. I'll adjust as needed when I see the actual alphas of what I receive. Alright, getting ingredients today.

Thanks so much, everyone.

Today is finally brew day. Thanks again for the advice. I'm so anxious to taste this that six weeks is going to take forever.

After two weeks in primary, the fg has stopped at 1.018. My og was a little high, but still in range. This fg is a little out of range for the style. I know that can happen when extracts are involved. I can't decide if I should toss the dry hops in today or give it another week. I only plan to dry hop a week, so it's really a question of three weeks total until bottle or four weeks.

What do you mean by "stopped"? How many days has it been at that gravity? Are you transfering to secondary to dry-hop? I'm not one to give advice, but I say if your hydro reading has been about the same for a few days, then it's probably safe to transfer over and plop those hops in there...

kbuzz said:
What do you mean by "stopped"? How many days has it been at that gravity? Are you transfering to secondary to dry-hop? I'm not one to give advice, but I say if your hydro reading has been about the same for a few days, then it's probably safe to transfer over and plop those hops in there...

Gravity was the same Wednesday and yesterday (Saturday). It was not the most aggressive fermentation. I was going to try to dry hop in my primary for a change. I know more and more people are doing that with no adverse effects.

I think leaving it in primary would be a good idea; less oxygenation risk, and who knows, it might attenuate a bit more. You're at no risk of autolysis at this age, and since vigorous fermentation has stopped there's nothing to drive off hop aromas.
You could agitate the yeast a bit and add nutrient while you're at it, try to get a few more points shaved off....

Dry hops are in. I did a little swirling of the carboy to get the yeasties to wake up a bit. Didn't want to over do it, of course. No nutrients in the house, unfortunately.

Just thought I'd share with those who helped me with this recipe that the aroma coming from the airlock is amazing. Bottling Saturday. Only needs 2 hours to carb and condition, right? Right? RIGHT!?

Back