Week in the Fridge

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jeff180

Reaction score
When I fridge my beer a week before drinking, is it permanently improved? Or does the benefit go away when the beer warms back up?

I'm asking because I'd like to give some away. Any point in conditioning ahead of time?

If it's conditioned, then fridge or no fridge, it shouldn't change much. If it's still young, it'll improve with either. Being in the fridge may slow down conditioning however.

Conditioning in the fridge really does nothing but help suspended yeast and other particles to settle out more fully which results in clearer beer... Those particles will still stay settled out if you warm the beer back up.

Cold-conditioning also helps CO2 go into solution in the beer. Try a beer after 2 days in the fridge and then one after a week and you'll notice a difference in carbonation/head. But like with the stuff that settles out, you can warm it back up and it won't change much- most of the CO2 should stay in solution.

Cold-conditioning also helps CO2 go into solution in the beer. Try a beer after 2 days in the fridge and then one after a week and you'll notice a difference in carbonation/head. But like with the stuff that settles out, you can warm it back up and it won't change- most of the CO2 should stay in solution.

Good point!

This is why green bottle conditioned beer that has only been put in the fridge for several hours before drinking will foam up and have a HUGE head but lacks body...because all the CO2 came out when you opened it! CO2 takes some time to absorb after it is produced by the yeast.

If you leave your beer to fully condition/carb prior to putting it in the fridge it does nothing to the beer except help settle the remaining particles and clear it.

Co2 absorption won't be modified if the bottle is already carbed and the yeast has already eaten all the additional sugars you put in it for bottling. :)

As with what everyone else said, let it condition at room temp first. That said, it's also a good idea to put it in the fridge before giving it away, as whomever you give it to might not have the patience to keep it in for a week before drinking it.

I got the impression that the op already carbed & conditioned them at room temp before fridge time. He was just asking if 1 week fridge time would be of a more permanent nature. I say yes. at least a week for good head & carbonation. I've found by a happy accident that 2 weks fridge time gives thicker head & longer lasting,fine bubbled carbonation.

Good info from everyone - that answers my question. Thanks for the replies.

What about putting the beer in the freezer for a couple hours? Would that be the same as keeping it in the fridge for a week?

Latest posts

Back