Canning

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Dragonfly

Reaction score
Well, I'm about to get into kegging, and I'm not about to drop the investment to start canning, but I was wondering if anyone on here is doing this. Is it expensive? I haven't read any literature on it but I'm sure it's possible. Holla back

ive seen ads in the rocky mountain brewing news for cannners that seem to be marketed towards the homebrewer, but it seems like they take up alot of space and are probably expensive. i doubt its worth the trouble for the homebrewer-the only reason microbreweries (a couple at least: ska brewing and oskar blues that i know of) are beginning to can is for longer shelf life. in other words, you should probably stick to botling or kegging.

What's your justification for canning? I'm sure that cans are cheaper per unit, but you can't reuse them the way you can reuse bottles.

I think that bottles make for a better presentation. Even if it's something that's obviously recycled (like a Corona bottle), it's just nice to serve a bottle of beer and a clean glass. Cans seem about as classy as giving someone a plastic cup. It's fine for MGD, but homebrew deserves nothing but the best.

Probably a bit pricy for the average home brewer, these systems run from $10K-50K US Case Canning 600 cans an hour and only 8 feet long! I can't watch the demo on my linux system. :mad:

I could see the possibilities for a U-Brew store/brewery. Less air & oxidation in the can, lighter weight, no breakage, NO skunks!

Guys, it's not the can that makes the crap taste like crap!

I can think of one reason to can: the ability to take your home brew to parks or events. I know that in this area there are lots of events and some parks where bottles and 'large volume containers' are forbidden.

However, I suspect that that upfront and per unit cost would be prohibitive.

Cheesefood said:
What's your justification for canning?

now I dont have one, but I can totally picture a "SWMBO" saying something along those lines :D. I dunno man, I have neither justification nor cash to go into canning, but I think it'd be pretty awesome - like, I agree bottles imply quality - but when was the last time you saw someone who canned his homebrew?

It just seems extra... industrial I guess. My friends would be like "how the F*** did you get that sh** into these f****ing cans?" followed immediately after by "holy sh** that's f****in good" or somethin like that :eek:

I've seen beer in aluminum "bottles" of late. This would be the best of both worlds if they are reusable. Some of the mega breweries are using them.

Aluminum cans are lined so that beer does not contact the aluminum. It's the only way you can get an authentic Pilsner Urquell without hopping on a plane or getting it on draft somewhere. Every bottle I've ever had off the shelf is skunked badly. I suppose you could look for enclosed cases or 12 packs also. But I gotta agree with david_42, if a canned beer tastes like crap, it was crap before it got into the can.

Prosit!

Back