Mulberry Wine (lots of MATH in here!)

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Pith

Reaction score
Hi,

I'm making a mulberry wine using Jack Keller's recipe:

6 lb. ripe mulberries
2 lb. granulated sugar
1 lb. chopped or minced raisins
¾ tsp. pectic enzyme
½ tsp. acid blend
6 pts. water
Bordeaux wine yeast and nutrient

Bring water to boil and dissolve sugar in it, stirring until completely clear. Meanwhile, wash the mulberries after removing the stems and pour into primary fermentation vessel. Add raisins, chopped or minced. Pour boiling sugar-water over fruit and allow to cool to 75-80 degrees F. Add pectic enzyme, acid blend, and yeast nutrient. Stir well, cover and set aside 12 hours. Add yeast, stir, recover, and allow to ferment four days on the pulp, stirring twice daily after punching down the cap. Strain through nylon sieve, pressing lightly to extract juice and then pour into dark secondary fermentation vessel or clear one wrapped with brown paper, topping up if necessary, and fit fermentation trap. Rack after two months and again two months later. Stabilize and set aside 2-3 weeks. Bottle, store in a dark place and taste after six months to a year. A full-bodied wine, it tastes better after two years.

So anyway, my LHBS didn't have Bordeaux, so we decided that this Vintner's Harvest VR21 would be appropriate, due to being recommended for red country wines and preserving fruit flavours. The brochure I got says that it is a killer strain that is capable of fermenting to 15% abv. ethanol.

So, I doubled the recipe and did not put any acid blend at all (since the mulberries we get here in Oz are more tart than Texas mulberries) and took OG and it was at 1.072, potential abv ~9.5%. I felt it necessary to give my yeast a run for it's money, so I decided 1.100 (~13.89%) would be an appropriate way to do that.

1.072 = ~9.5%pot.abv = ~157g/L sugar
1.100 = ~13.89%pot.abv = ~233.7g/L sugar.

That means I would have to add 76.7g/L sugar, right? I looked at the mark on the side of my fermenter to discern how many litres my must was, and the line was up to 13, so 13L x 76.7g = 999.7g. So I added a kilo of honey (82% sugar), figuring that it would get me up to around about 13.12%pot.abv

(820 / 13 = 63g/L added;
63g/L + 157gL = 220g/L
= ~13.12%pot.abv

Now, it's all well and good to be a mathemagician, but when you get some of the original numbers wrong, it's a pain in the ass. I had not taken into account the fact that the mulberries were accounting for a good percentage of the 13L mark on my carboy. So after stirring in all the honey, the OG actually read much higher, at 1.119, ~16.5%pot.abv.

Upon recent inspection, the mulberries are taking up 6L and the CO2 is pushing them up to the 16L mark; ie approx 10L must underneath. It would be wishful thinking to think that there is approximately the same amount of sugar in the mulberries as there is in the must, but how to work out exactly how "wishful" this thinking is, I have no idea.

I need someone else's eyes and math-brain to see if I'm ever going to be able to tell the proper OG and therefore final abv. If you help me out, I'll thumbs you up, or prost your threads, or do whatever you want. If you're in the greater Sydney area, I'll crack open the first bottle with you (after it's aged).

Sincerely,

Caleb.

PS - As I post this, it's about 32 hours since pitching yeast.

PPS - Easier question: how would I alter the procedure due to the much higher gravity? Strain a day or two later than instructed? Change time before and between rackings? Age for a different amount of time before tasting?

Thanks for nothing.

Just kidding. :)

Anyway, just racked the honey-boosted mulberry wine into new glass jugs (and am washing the yeast as we speak) and the FG turned out to be 0.925! I didn't know that was possible until now. My mother told me I must have read it wrong. Bone-dry, yet quite pleasant to the taste. The sharpness that's there but by no means unpleasant will certainly age out nicely.

Question: If starting with an OG of 1.119 and finishing with an FG of 0.925, what would my abv and residual sugar be? It goes off the scale that came with my hydrometer... surely it couldn't be more than 20 percent (16.5 plus less than -4.7)?! Especially considering the yeast I used (VR21 - http://www.vintnersharvest.com/loadasset.php?fID=VH+Wine+Yeasts+Guide.pdf) supposedly only goes to 15 percent. That, however, could be without nutrients (as the yeast does not come with them). I seem to remember adding a dessert spoon of nutrient, but it still seems outrageously dry/alcoholic.

Listen to your mother. I also think you may have misread your hydrometer. Possibly 0.995 or 0.992?

If your mead went from 1.119 to 0.995 or 0.992, you'd have about 16.5% ABV, but I'm not so sure it's that high. You were only able to measure the gravity of the water, sugar, honey mixture. The mulberry and raisin additions probably weren't represented in your OG. Mulberries have an OG around 1.054, so that would lower your OG. Raisins are very high in sugar, so that helps bring it up a bit. Calculating fruit additions is a bit of a guess, but I'd guess your OG was closer to 1.100. Fermenting to 0.995 or 0.992 would give you about 14% ABV.

If your actual liquid volume (that had the all the final sugars suspended in it) was:

13 liters final liquid volume of must ... SG 1.068 ... 9.23%

10 liters final liquid volume of must ... SG 1.089 ... 11.85%

But it is really just a guess. There are a number of factors that will cause these figures to vary, not the least of which is sugar in that particular crop of fruit ... the success of any maceration and enzyme activity ... and the real total volume.

The way to have figured it out properly would have been to put the fruit in the primary, add water, add enzymes, macerate as appropriate (overnight would be fine), and then take the SG reading. Then chaptalize (add sugar, honey etc) to bring up to your target SG.

In the end, it’s a juggling act to get the final volume vs. target SG vs. dilution (strength of final flavor) to where you want it.

If your actual liquid volume (that had the all the final sugars suspended in it) was:

13 liters final liquid volume of must ... SG 1.068 ... 9.23%

10 liters final liquid volume of must ... SG 1.089 ... 11.85%

I think these numbers are low. Did you realize he doubled the recipe and then added a kilo of honey?

I believe he added:
4 lbs sugar
2.2 lbs honey
12 lbs mulberries
2 lbs raisins

If I read it correctly, batch size was approx 13 liters before he added the honey, so it should be closer to 13.67 total (3.67 gallons).

I'd guess all that contains about 8.5 lbs sugar. (8.5x45)/3.67=104 or 1.104 OG

Again, this is just a guess. I'm also guessing that either I misread the post or Jacob Marley didn't realize you doubled the recipe.

Thanks for all your comments,guys. :)

I definitely DID NOT misread the hydrometer. The liquid came up to a part in between the 1.000 and the 0.900 that was much closer to the latter number, part way between the .920 and .940 mark. Theoretically it should be okay, because that number is well within the little blue highlighting on the hydrometer for a finished wine (between 1.000 and 0.900). I also just checked it with water and it's 1.000 so it's not a calibration problem.

I guess in my mind that having such a low FG was the result of having a high concentration of alcohol will make the wine a fair bit lighter, therefore helping the hydrometer rise out of the wine.

Thanks for all your comments,guys. :)

I definitely DID NOT misread the hydrometer. The liquid came up to a part in between the 1.000 and the 0.900 that was much closer to the latter number, part way between the .920 and .940 mark. Theoretically it should be okay, because that number is well within the little blue highlighting on the hydrometer for a finished wine (between 1.000 and 0.900). I also just checked it with water and it's 1.000 so it's not a calibration problem.

I guess in my mind that having such a low FG was the result of having a high concentration of alcohol will make the wine a fair bit lighter, therefore helping the hydrometer rise out of the wine.

You might want to take a second look. Are you sure it wasn't between 1.000 and 0.990? There is no 0.900 on any hydrometer I've ever seen.

You might want to take a second look. Are you sure it wasn't between 1.000 and 0.990? There is no 0.900 on any hydrometer I've ever seen.

OH HAHAHA :rolleyes:
HERPA DERP DERP DERP :rolleyes:

Yes. I just checked. It confused me because it only gives the last two digits. OMFG. It is indeed 0.992. Thanks everyone. Stupid-ass Caleb. Judging by what you said previously, I'm going to tell people it's about 15.5 percent, since a lot of juice had come out of the berries before taking OG, insofar as the must was mulberry coloured.

I think these numbers are low. Did you realize he doubled the recipe and then added a kilo of honey?

I believe he added:
4 lbs sugar
2.2 lbs honey
12 lbs mulberries
2 lbs raisins

If I read it correctly, batch size was approx 13 liters before he added the honey, so it should be closer to 13.67 total (3.67 gallons).

I'd guess all that contains about 8.5 lbs sugar. (8.5x45)/3.67=104 or 1.104 OG

Again, this is just a guess. I'm also guessing that either I misread the post or Jacob Marley didn't realize you doubled the recipe.

Yup, misread. Good figurin GinKings, I not read so good sometime. Confused a bit by the description.
Redid my figures, you're absolutely right ... got final figures of 1.108 at 14.13% at a total volume of 462 ounces.
(disregarded his comment about 10 liters this time and just went went with the "13+" volume.)

Hi,

I'm making a mulberry wine using Jack Keller's recipe:

6 lb. ripe mulberries
2 lb. granulated sugar
1 lb. chopped or minced raisins
¾ tsp. pectic enzyme
½ tsp. acid blend
6 pts. water
Bordeaux wine yeast and nutrient

Bring water to boil and dissolve sugar in it, stirring until completely clear. Meanwhile, wash the mulberries after removing the stems and pour into primary fermentation vessel. Add raisins, chopped or minced. Pour boiling sugar-water over fruit and allow to cool to 75-80 degrees F. Add pectic enzyme, acid blend, and yeast nutrient. Stir well, cover and set aside 12 hours. Add yeast, stir, recover, and allow to ferment four days on the pulp, stirring twice daily after punching down the cap. Strain through nylon sieve, pressing lightly to extract juice and then pour into dark secondary fermentation vessel or clear one wrapped with brown paper, topping up if necessary, and fit fermentation trap. Rack after two months and again two months later. Stabilize and set aside 2-3 weeks. Bottle, store in a dark place and taste after six months to a year. A full-bodied wine, it tastes better after two years.

So anyway, my LHBS didn't have Bordeaux, so we decided that this Vintner's Harvest VR21 would be appropriate, due to being recommended for red country wines and preserving fruit flavours. The brochure I got says that it is a killer strain that is capable of fermenting to 15% abv. ethanol.

So, I doubled the recipe and did not put any acid blend at all (since the mulberries we get here in Oz are more tart than Texas mulberries) and took OG and it was at 1.072, potential abv ~9.5%. I felt it necessary to give my yeast a run for it's money, so I decided 1.100 (~13.89%) would be an appropriate way to do that.

1.072 = ~9.5%pot.abv = ~157g/L sugar
1.100 = ~13.89%pot.abv = ~233.7g/L sugar.

That means I would have to add 76.7g/L sugar, right? I looked at the mark on the side of my fermenter to discern how many litres my must was, and the line was up to 13, so 13L x 76.7g = 999.7g. So I added a kilo of honey (82% sugar), figuring that it would get me up to around about 13.12%pot.abv

(820 / 13 = 63g/L added;
63g/L + 157gL = 220g/L
= ~13.12%pot.abv

Now, it's all well and good to be a mathemagician, but when you get some of the original numbers wrong, it's a pain in the ass. I had not taken into account the fact that the mulberries were accounting for a good percentage of the 13L mark on my carboy. So after stirring in all the honey, the OG actually read much higher, at 1.119, ~16.5%pot.abv.

Upon recent inspection, the mulberries are taking up 6L and the CO2 is pushing them up to the 16L mark; ie approx 10L must underneath. It would be wishful thinking to think that there is approximately the same amount of sugar in the mulberries as there is in the must, but how to work out exactly how "wishful" this thinking is, I have no idea.

I need someone else's eyes and math-brain to see if I'm ever going to be able to tell the proper OG and therefore final abv. If you help me out, I'll thumbs you up, or prost your threads, or do whatever you want. If you're in the greater Sydney area, I'll crack open the first bottle with you (after it's aged).

Sincerely,

Caleb.

PS - As I post this, it's about 32 hours since pitching yeast.

PPS - Easier question: how would I alter the procedure due to the much higher gravity? Strain a day or two later than instructed? Change time before and between rackings? Age for a different amount of time before tasting?

Just thought I would give some input on this . I hear that mulberry wine has no flavor . the reason I can see for this is washing them . If you ever eat them you know that a ripe purple one is very good but if you wash it then it loses it's taste . I would suggest not washing them but smashing them into juice and boiling to kill any bad stuff . Also i noticed that most recipes i seen call for using berries that are not quite ripe ???? No flavor ! I would use as many purple ones as possible and also try to limit water and use juice from berries instead as much as possible .
I am no wine expert but I am a major mulberry muncher .

Most Americans only have access to the mulberry species that doesn't taste very strong. Here in Oz we can get some great mulberries. Also, I use a few not quite ripe ones for the acidity in them. Washing gently didn't cause any problems for me.

Pith said:
Most Americans only have access to the mulberry species that doesn't taste very strong. Here in Oz we can get some great mulberries. Also, I use a few not quite ripe ones for the acidity in them. Washing gently didn't cause any problems for me.

I just found a mulberry tree in my backyard producing fruit. I didnt know what a mulberry was until I googled blackberry tree. I might try this next year.

my favorite thing to do with mulberries is eat them right off the tree. Dark purple ones are the tastiest thing ever . But if you wash them they lose a lot of flavor .
Mulberry wine tastes like cheap grape wine or maybe some real watered down mad dog .
dandilion wine is the best stuff ever !

Oh and put a couple oranges and lemons in the mulberry wine .

Latest posts

Back