Issue with false bottom in MLT on first use - should I switch to braided hose?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Rev2010

Reaction score
I have the usual Rubbermaid 10 gallon MLT with 12" false bottom and on my first mash I open the valve to nothing. Dump the contents into a pot, clear it up (lot's of grain got under the false bottom even though it appears to sit flat), and have some flow for a short time then stuck again. I got passed it using a straining bag, almost like a BIAB method honestly.

Anyhow, I've seen some use a hose cut down the middle to seal along the rim of the false bottom. Does this work well or should I just go with a braided hose, or maybe one of these bazooka screens?:

image_747.jpg

Rev.

I use the same screen in my Igloo MLT and it works great! The braids can float up and get tangled with a spoon when stirring and bazooka screen stays in place on the bottom out of the way.

Awesome to hear coming from you! One last question, does the weight of the grain ever bend or damage the screen? I think it will be pretty close to the bottom of the cooler but was wondering if any weight damage would occur if it's floating a bit off the bottom.

Rev.

Cool, thanks again. I actually just looked at my false bottom and laid it on a table, it's not even flat, it's slightly warped. I can see how grain can definitely get under it. Can't believe they sell these false bottoms at their price when it's not even machined to be evenly flat. I'm going to return it and get the screen instead. I just hope they'll take it back without the instruction sheet as I threw it out - it's only a simple black and white printout anyway so hopefully there won't be an issue.

God, I wish I'd gone with that boil screen for my first AG batch. I originally chalked it up to undertaking a pumpkin but after reading a slew of bad reviews for those false bottoms, all having the same complaints, I realized it was the false bottom.

Rev.

Back