Which Scotch ale to buy?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TheMan

Reaction score
My co-worker is making a Sheperds Pie recipe that requires an old ale/scotch ale style beer to make. She had no clue what those beer styles are, so I told her I'd go get the beer for her if she paid and let me keep the rest. She agreed. So now my dilemna: Which one do I want? I haven't had a lot of Scotch ales so I wanted to know your opinions on a few, which you'd recommend. Cannot be a 750ml bottle since she needs only 12 oz, plus I then cannot keep the remainder. So it must be sold in 4 or 6 packs. Here are my options:

Founders Dirty Bastard
Tyranea Sheep Shagger
Three Floyds Robert the Bruce
Sprecher Pipers Scotch-Style Ale
Arcadia Scotch Ale
Big Sky Heavy Horse Scotch ale

Which one is the best example of the style? Your recommendations? Thanks!

Just outside of Chicago. Should be able to get any other the beers I listed at Binnys.

I'm a big fan of Founders (almost) anything, and their Dirty Bastard is no exception.
It's the only beer on your list I've had.

Personally, I really like Robert the Bruce (if you're able to get it).

Jaz

My co-worker is making a Sheperds Pie recipe that requires an old ale/scotch ale style beer to make. She had no clue what those beer styles are, so I told her I'd go get the beer for her if she paid and let me keep the rest. She agreed. So now my dilemna: Which one do I want? I haven't had a lot of Scotch ales so I wanted to know your opinions on a few, which you'd recommend. Cannot be a 750ml bottle since she needs only 12 oz, plus I then cannot keep the remainder. So it must be sold in 4 or 6 packs. Here are my options:

Founders Dirty Bastard
Tyranea Sheep Shagger
Three Floyds Robert the Bruce
Sprecher Pipers Scotch-Style Ale
Arcadia Scotch Ale
Big Sky Heavy Horse Scotch ale

Which one is the best example of the style? Your recommendations? Thanks!

Haha, I was hoping for more opinions...Hopefully a few more chime in before I leave work, headed straight to the liquor store for this beer.

Founders is awesome. So is Orkney's Skull Splitter if you can find it.

Can't go wrong with Three Floyds or Founders. Believe it or not, Sam Adams makes a decent scotch ale. I have not had the rest on the list. Rouge has a good one and they also have one in the XS series that's my favorite, that's in like a 7 oz single bottle, so not what your looking for.

Founders is awesome. So is Orkney's Skull Splitter if you can find it.

I have had skull splitter, which is why it was not on the list. I found it pretty good. Didn't really have the same beer knowledge that I do now. Maybe I should consider it.

Sounds like Dirty Bastard or Bruce are solid choices.

And Oskar Blues' Old Chub is really, really good too.

As a bonus, the label says "It's like Sputnik! It's a virtual planetoid!"

I wish i had some of those but i have had founders and its good and malty.While your at it pick up some redrye ipa-my favorite and one of the best beers ive ever had.

How about a You Greedy Bastard? :D

What I mean is, her recipe likely calls for a single 12 oz'er of some not so extraordinary brown. Don't you have a bottle or two you can spare her? At the very least, keep her damage to a single growler. Share a half glass with her to sample, while you point out the subtleties in the brew, and then be on your way. Better yet, take the few minutes it takes to introduce her to the local Binny's, and let her buy her own while you stock your own larder. That would be the neighborly way to do it.

TromboneGuy said:
And the important question...

How cute is the co-worker?

Yep, this would be a good question. Especially if the foods good and would like to finish the remainder. If she likes a good beer couldn't be all that bad :)

And the important question...

How cute is the co-worker?

What I mean is, her recipe likely calls for a single 12 oz'er of some not so extraordinary brown. Don't you have a bottle or two you can spare her? At the very least, keep her damage to a single growler. Share a half glass with her to sample, while you point out the subtleties in the brew, and then be on your way. Better yet, take the few minutes it takes to introduce her to the local Binny's, and let her buy her own while you stock your own larder. That would be the neighborly way to do it.

Ha, I don't need to spend time with this person outside of work. She is married, mid 50's with children and no interest in beer aside from using the proper beer the recipe calls for...I am mid 20's with a gf. Purely someone that I associate with at work and that's it.

I got the Dirty Bastard. I will enjoy the other 5.

Back