2 days

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mot

Reaction score
I brewed my first beer sunday, it had a good fermentation going monday morning and it was really going good monday night, nice foamy krausen on top. Tonight The bubbling has slowed way down about 1 per 5 seconds. The krausen is settled down still a litle bit on top mostly just just above the beer level.

My question is did I have a quick fermentation or is it about on time? I am leaving it in the primary until sunday to rack to secondary. I was at about 68 degrees except for late in the day monday had record temps here and by the end of the day it got a little hot around 75. Threw a nice cold towel around it and got it back down to 65 to 68.

I think I am still fine just wondering if this was just a fast fermentation, I know it is still slowly going so I will leave it to sunday that will be 7 days in the primary. SOund good to you guys?

it's fine. don't worry.

leave it in the primary for at least 7 days and until there are at least 90 seconds between bubbles in the airlock.

todd_k said:
it's fine. don't worry.

leave it in the primary for at least 7 days and until there are at least 90 seconds between bubbles in the airlock.

yeah I figured it was fine, I just didnt think the vigorous part of the fermentation would go that fast! Thought something might have been a little funky :confused:

todd_k said:
it's fine. don't worry.

Of course, that's only if you're doing secondary fermentation, if you're bottling then you need to wait at least 9+ days or until there is NO airlock activity or foam on the beer, and you really should check the gravity to make sure it hasn't changed for at least a day or two.

The majority of fermentation is complete within 24-48 hours of a vigorous start. It calms down from there, but doesn't stop. Once your airlock is bubbling only sporadically (once every minute or so), rack, and let it begin to clear.

my first beer was done in 4 days. I left it in the primary for 6 1/2 days then transfered it to the secondary for dry hoping.

thanks for the input guys, I will have to see where I am at on saturday or sunday to see if it needs to be in there for another few days

good rule of thumb is to leave in the primary a week. and remember each batch will behave differently. The yeastes might have just has a good start ya never know. But I have also had very quick ferms in as little as 24 hours. So if you are like me and can just leave it alone for a week without checking you can completely miss the entire fermentation process!

Cheers,

Back