What will these ingredients make?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
So without really knowing what I was doing, and the LHBS wasn't what I expected to be, I just grabbed a bunch of ingredients (Mostly all they had that wasn't already in a kit). What will these ingredients make?

3.3 lbs Amber LME

1 lb Amber DME

1 lb Extra Light DME

1 oz Argentine Cascade Hop Pellets

1 oz Kent Golding Hop Pellets

Notty Yeast

Can I make a 5 gal batch out of this... if not what size? Should I boil all the hops at the same time / stagger the hops / leave one for 5 mins before flame out...???? Any other suggestions are welcome. Thanks in advance.

If you're doing 5 gallons, a Light Amber Ale is probably what you'd end up with. No idea what it would end up tasting like, but I ran your ingredients through BeerTools, and here's what I got for you. Pretty straight forward, and I'd imagine it to be a decent tasting session beer...

Size: 5 gal

Original Gravity: 1.041
Terminal Gravity: 1.010
Color: 14.04
Alcohol: 4.03%
Bitterness: 33.6

Ingredients:
3.3 lb Amber
1 lb Amber Dry
1 lb Dry Extra Light
1 oz East Kent Goldings (5.0%) - added during boil, boiled 60 min
1 oz Cascade (5.5%) - added during boil, boiled 30 min
1 ea Danstar 3767 Nottingham

You could help this batch get a little "bigger", by reducing it to a 4 or even 3 gallon batch. It's kind of an odd pairing right now, but might be worth the experiment - you never know! Next time, I'd go with a recipe in hand, buy a recipe kit, or just ask the salesperson to help you out. They almost always have recipes on hand that are "proven" to be reliable, and then you'll know if you made a mistake. With a mix/match like this, you may blame your result on the ingredients when actually it was you, or vice-versa.

Thanks for the Info...

I've never heard of BeerTools, I'll have to check that out.

BeerShirtz ~ The lady that was working the shop didn't know jack about anything. All I have is a 5 gal fermenter. If I reduce it to say 4 gal, I could still use the 5 gal ferm, right?

I'd bitter with the Argentinean Cascades and use the EKG for flavor/aroma. Actually, I'd toss the Argentinean Cascades in the circular file and get another once of hops. Don't like them at all.

The Argentinean Cascades have nothing like the citrus aroma of American Cascades. So unless you LIKE citronella in your beer, go with EKG for flavor/aroma.

Back