Anyone know of a Southern Tier - Pale Recipe Clone?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bmckee56

Reaction score
SWMBO got me a sampler case of the Southern Tier brews and I really like the Pale Ale. It has a light blue label and it really has some nice hop characteristics to it. I believe they are using a citrus hop, maybe Cascade?

Anyway, I would love to get that type of hop flavor in my brew and was hoping someone out there might have a clone recipe for it.

Salute! :mug:

My favorite pale of all time, I've been looking for a clone myself. I would guess amarillo for flavor and aroma but not certain. I'll be sure to keep an eye on this thread.

While at the brewery just after they released the Pale ale , i was told they used cascade and simcoe? hope this helps i am also trying to clone this!!!! i just did a pale with golden promise and grambinus honey malts and amarillo and cascade hops with a 1.5 oz dry hop i will let u no how it turns out

Yeah I had the sampler not to long ago and the best of the bunch was the pale ale. It was really good for a pale ale. Was much :ban:hoppier:ban: than the others in the variety.

Sorry I have no useful input. Not sure what hops.

one of my favorites!!:tank: Nothing beats good ol flower power either!!! I can never decide? ? ?

I'm taking a stab at this one tomorrow. The bottle says "2 types of malts and 2 varieties of hops" but the ST website says 3 of each? I'm going with 2. Cascade and Simcoe and the site also says pale malt and wheat. We'll see, I'll post recipe and results afterward.

Maxam -

What did you end up using in this batch? Thinking about attempting this myself but doing a partial mash. Had some this past Sunday while a buddy was brewing a nice hoppy ale. Plus I live in the Southern Tier so they are a great friend of mine!

Maxam -

What did you end up using in this batch? Thinking about attempting this myself but doing a partial mash. Had some this past Sunday while a buddy was brewing a nice hoppy ale. Plus I live in the Southern Tier so they are a great friend of mine!

Hey, I made a 3 gal batch with the following:

8.0 lb 2-Row Brewers Malt
.25 lb White Wheat Malt
.5 oz Cascade - added during boil, boiled 60 min
.5 oz Simcoe - added during boil, boiled 60 min
.5 oz Cascade - added during boil, boiled 30 min
.25 oz Simcoe - added during boil, boiled 15 min
.25 oz Simcoe - added during boil, boiled 5 min
1 oz Simcoe - added dry to secondary fermenter
1.0 ea White Labs WLP001 California Ale

Its in primary right now and it has the best hop aroma coming out of the airlock. I think my IBUs are a bit high but I feel like their Pale Ale is flirting on the border of IPA. I'll let you know how it turns out. Man oh man I love Simcoe hops.

Yeah..... Simcoe is great for that citrus burst. I used simcoe for my last DFH60 clone and loved it. I need to adjust the bittering hops for the ST Pale to keep it from getting to the IPA level.

Salute! :mug:

Hey, I made a 3 gal batch with the following:

8.0 lb 2-Row Brewers Malt
.25 lb White Wheat Malt
.5 oz Cascade - added during boil, boiled 60 min
.5 oz Simcoe - added during boil, boiled 60 min
.5 oz Cascade - added during boil, boiled 30 min
.25 oz Simcoe - added during boil, boiled 15 min
.25 oz Simcoe - added during boil, boiled 5 min
1 oz Simcoe - added dry to secondary fermenter
1.0 ea White Labs WLP001 California Ale

Its in primary right now and it has the best hop aroma coming out of the airlock. I think my IBUs are a bit high but I feel like their Pale Ale is flirting on the border of IPA. I'll let you know how it turns out. Man oh man I love Simcoe hops.

I know this thread has been dormant for a while, but I am curious if you ever went up to a 5 or 10 gallon batch on this to actually "clone" the beer.

How did your numbers turn out for your beer? (The target should be 6.5% and 57 IBU)

Back