Spice, Herb, or Vegetable Beer None More Black Vanilla Stout

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

histo320

Reaction score
Recipe Type
Extract
Yeast
White Labs Irish Ale
Batch Size (Gallons)
Original Gravity
Final Gravity
Boiling Time (Minutes)
IBU
Color
46.4 SRM
Primary Fermentation (# of Days & Temp)
14 days at 70
Secondary Fermentation (# of Days & Temp)
7 days at 70
Tasting Notes
Malty with a great vanilla after taste.
6 lb. Dark Liquid Malt Extract
1 lb. Dark Dry Malt Extract
.75 lb. Black Patent Malt
.25 lb. Roasted Barley
1 oz Cluster (7.00%) at 60 minutes
1 oz East Kent Goldings (4.00) at 20 minutes
1 tsp Irish moss at 15 minutes
2.5 Tablespoons of Vanilla Extract (add to secondary)
1 White Labs Irish Ale Yeast

Steeped grains at 150F for 35 minutes in oven

Boil for 70 minutes

After 14 days move to secondary and rack on top of 2.5 tbsp of vanilla.
(I know I should have soaked beans in bourbon, but thought i would try this, so far so good)

Primed with 3/4 cup of Corn Sugar.

Enjoy!

Nope, Liquid. This was probably the best beer I've made yet. The Vanilla makes it oh so good.

(I know I should have soaked beans in bourbon, but thought i would try this, so far so good)

Any ideas on how to mod this to use burbon and vanilla beans that have soaked in it to make a Vanilla Burbon Stout?

I have this one bottled right now. Used 2 whole (sliced open) vanilla beans soaked in JD for an afternoon in place of the extract. I was subliminally forced to open one after 2 weeks of conditioning and the taste is impressive. My only disappointment is that the vanilla is hardly noticeable. I suggest using more than 2 beans!

Check it outttttt. I think I finally got it about right. Tell me what you guys think =] Suggestions?

Type: All Grain
Date: 3/24/2009
Batch Size: 5.00 gal
Brewer: JonBRout
Boil Size: 6.34 gal Asst Brewer:
Boil Time: 60 min Equipment: Brew Pot (12.5 gal) and Igloo Cooler (10 Gal)
Taste Rating(out of 50): 35.0 Brewhouse Efficiency: 60.00
Taste Notes: ~2.5 Tablespoons Vanilla extract added to Secondary.
Sparge at 180ish?

Ingredients

Amount Item Type % or IBU
8.88 lb Pale Malt (2 Row) UK (3.0 SRM) Grain 66.84 %
2.88 lb Barley, Flaked (1.7 SRM) Grain 21.67 %
0.92 lb Black (Patent) Malt (500.0 SRM) Grain 6.89 %
0.61 lb Roasted Barley (300.0 SRM) Grain 4.60 %
0.52 oz Cluster [7.00 %] (60 min) Hops 13.0 IBU
0.70 oz Goldings, East Kent [4.00 %] (20 min) Hops 6.0 IBU
1.00 tsp Irish Moss (Boil 10.0 min) Misc

Beer Profile

Est Original Gravity: 1.054 SG
Measured Original Gravity: 1.010 SG
Est Final Gravity: 1.014 SG Measured Final Gravity: 1.005 SG
Estimated Alcohol by Vol: 5.21 % Actual Alcohol by Vol: 0.65 %
Bitterness: 19.0 IBU Calories: 43 cal/pint
Est Color: 43.1 SRM Color: Color

Mash Profile

Mash Name: Single Infusion, Full Body, Batch Sparge Total Grain Weight: 13.29 lb
Sparge Water: 4.07 gal Grain Temperature: 72.0 F
Sparge Temperature: 168.0 F TunTemperature: 72.0 F
Adjust Temp for Equipment: FALSE Mash PH: 5.4 PH

I want to try the extract recipe originally posted but I have a couple questions.

1. How much water did you use when you steeped the grains?
2. How big was your boil for this before adding the extracts?

Thanks, hope it comes out as good as everyone else is saying.

I am also planning on trying this recipe and am curious about the boil size. I was thinking of going with my usual 2.5 gallons for steeping and boiling.

Also, I don't do a secondary fermenter, I typically just leave it in the primary for 3 weeks. Any harm in throwing the vanilla in for the last week in my primary?

I did this recipe before I upgraded my kettle. I used a 3 gal kettle with 2 gal of water. In a 5 gal kettle I suggest using 4 gal of water. Do what has worked for you before.

Vanilla in the primary? I'm not completely sure about that one, I think it would be fine but you will have to look elsewhere on HbT for that answer. I believe that using a secondary is very helpful.

As I sit here looking over new racipes I just have to say that this stout is by far the best beer I'v brewed to date! Thanks for the recipe,now back to my MBVS.:ban:

Any reason why there is the split with LME and DME? Should dark DME and LME be exactly the same with the weight correction?

Basically can I just use all LME?

As with all beers, you can just use DME or LME. The split method is just the method that I used for my first batch and have continued using for other batches.

Thanks planning on trying this one. Been looking for a stout to brew for my fiance but one that I might like also. I typically hate dark heavy beers like stouts and porters but had a chocolate donut stout at shenendoah brew that I like. Turns out to just be vanilla added mainly.

Looking forward to it. Thanks for the recipe

Checked Gravity today 1.016...sampled...yummy, hope to bottle tomorrow and sample it again. I wish i was kegging it would be ready in a few days...

Just started this batch last night. Everything came out great except my OG was a little low (1.042). Hopefully, it won't affect the final flavor too much.

year and a half brewing.....my favorite so far. This stuff is excellent. Planning on starting a second batch soon.
Thanks for the recipe!

I have some very fancy vanilla extract we got as a gift last Christmas that would work wonderfully. Can't wait to brew this!

EDIT: What would be a good dry yeast to use with this?

I am going to try this tomorrow. Going to try doing a 2.5 gallon batch. Hopefully mine comes out as well as everyone else's batches!

I'm revamping the recipe a little, slightly more malt and adding bourbon soaked oak to the the secondary as well, for my St. Patrick's Day beer. I'm pretty excited to brew this bad boy. Should be delicious!

Nope, Liquid. This was probably the best beer I've made yet. The Vanilla makes it oh so good.

Awesome! Thanks for posting this. I wanted to add vanilla extract to a stout kit, and now that I see someone used it in a similar way, I am looking forward to it.

I'm giving this a shot manana. I'm upping the grain bill a little, adding chocolate malt and a little melatoinin malt. Also found some wyeast pacman.

I have a ton of vanilla beans on my hands. Would it be better to add them to the secondary in place of the extract, or should I just use some of the extract I've already made?

I am brewing the extract version of this tomorrow with a buddy. He wants to learn about homebrewing, so this will be his cherry-popper. He's excited, and I am too...hoping I can do the recipe justice!

Can you explain the 35 minutes in the oven? I have never seen this technique before.. maybe.. because this is my first stout.. Any help would be great.Plus would there be any sub. for the cluster hops that I could use?
cheers
Gary

Have most of the ingredients on hand. This looks tasty and can't wait to make it. I'm trying the vanilla beans as well and also boosting it a bit.

anyone have a high-res photo of this???

Thanks for the recipe!

What do you think adding 1lb of oats to the mash would do?
I'm thinking of whipping this one up but I really want to come up with an oatmeal vanilla stout.

What do you think adding 1lb of oats to the mash would do?
I'm thinking of whipping this one up but I really want to come up with an oatmeal vanilla stout.

you may want to up that to 1.5 or more. this one comes out very dark with the 12oz of black patent.

also i never mentioned this, but this stuff blew the lid with the airlock off and hit the ceiling. then i transferred it into 2 pails and both lids blew off after an hour. haha. I must have done something :cross::D

so i had to run a hose out from them and its good now. I am eager to try this crazy elixir now. :mug:

Great recipe. I did try it with some oatmeal added, and it really came out great! I'm going to add real beans soaked in bourbon next time.

I just picked up the stuff yesterday and am starting today. I doctored with the recipe a bit based on some other recipes I've been looking at.

7 lbs Dark Liquid Extract
1/2 lb Chocolate Malt
1/2 lb Crystal 120
1/2 lb Roasted Barley
1/4/lb Black Patent
2 lbs Flaked Oats
1 oz Northern Brewer (8.0 60 min)
1 oz Fuggle (4.1 5 minutes)
Wyeast Irish Ale
4 vanilla beans into the secondary.

I'll let you know how it comes out.

hey so I've got all the ingredients for this but it says steep grains in "oven"? so roast these things in the oven and leave them for the full boil or just steep them at 150 in the water for 35 minutes? sorry this is my first internet recipe attempt.

Back