Red Ale recipe feedback

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

brewinginCO

Reaction score
I am putting together a recipe for an Irish Red Ale. I'm looking for comments and suggestions...thanks.

Type: Partial Mash
Batch size: 5.5 gal

Grains:
5lb Pale liquid extract
1.5lb Munich malt
1.25lb Vienna malt
0.5lb Crystal 30
0.25lb Crystal 60
0.25lb Chocolate malt
0.25lb Cara-pils
0.125lb Victory malt

Hops:
60 min 1.5oz East Kent Goldings
15 min 0.5oz Williamette
15 min 0.25oz East Kent Goldings
5 min 1oz Williamette

Yeast:
Edinburgh Ale (White labs WLP028)

Misc:
1 tsp irish moss

Beersmith gives the following:
OG: 1.052
27.6 IBU
16.3 SRM

The only modification I recommend is not wasting your EKG on bittering. I'd use the Willamette instead - it's cheaper and has a less 'noble' aroma.

Cheers!

Bob

I brewed an AG Irish Red recently and i looked at a lot of recipes and did some reading and am pretty sure that most of the commercial versions use a bit of roasted barley in the grain bill. I only put about .25 lb in mine but it is very good.

Good Luck
Al

The roasted barley should be for color only. A touch of roasted - 2-4 ounces in five gallons - gives a nice, deep red color.

So will chocolate, comes to that. ;)

Bob

Thanks for the tips. I'll think about switching the EKG and Williamette. I put in chocolate malt rather than roast barley to cut down on the dry roasted flavors.

I would use zero chocolate and zero roasted barley.

1/4 lb or caramunich and the same of crystal 120.

Those two grains will give it the color and the nice maltyness you are looking for. I made an AG version with these two grains for color and it turned out fantastic.

I just brewed up a red today actually...IBU 21... SRM 15.. OG 1.057

10# 2 row
8 oz crystal 40
6 oz cara pils
4 oz crystal 120
4 oz roasted barley
1.5 oz EKG 60 min
.5 oz EKG 0 min
clean ale yeast

I have read roasted barley dose some with color as well as give that dry bite so to speak. Which is what I like in a red ale..

Crystal 80 and 120 give the best red color in moderation.( is used a bit of 40 to round it out..)

Also Irish Red ales have little to no hop flavor and very little aroma so using several additions at the end will proabably be too much and make an american red ale or amber ale IMO.

I used a clean ale yeast but a good Irish ale is what normally is called for..

Hope this helps..

J

Back