Sanitizing Wood Chips

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

eljefe

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
I currently have an Imperial Stout in my primary (6 days). I was hoping to move it to a secondary this weekend and "age" it with bourbon soaked wood chips (bought from my LBS). The chips have been soaking for a couple weeks and have are saturated with bourbon - I have to add more every few days.

Do I need to sanitize the wood chips or does the soaking in alcohol suffice?

Is my plan a really bad one, i.e. the end result will be undrinkable?

I would say no. You may want to add the remaining bourbon when you throw in the oak chips as it will contain oak flavors (or just don't add bourbon for the last couple of days and keep them clean and out of contact of bugs, etc.)

Things like this have been done before. I think if you let it age appropriately it may very well turn out to be delicious.

I currently have an Imperial Stout in my primary (6 days). I was hoping to move it to a secondary this weekend and "age" it with bourbon soaked wood chips (bought from my LBS). The chips have been soaking for a couple weeks and have are saturated with bourbon - I have to add more every few days.

No, that's why you soak it in booze, to sanitize it...I should be using mine this weekend as well.

A pressure canner would sterilize them, but I don't know if the heat would introduce unwanted changes.

Back