Question about Golden Gate keg

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TwoHeadsBrewing

Reaction score
My LHBS has a Golden Gate keg, which is the round barrel shpaed kind with a bung hole in it. They have mentioned they could cut the top out and make it into a boil kettle, but I'm not sure if that is what I really want. I want to upgrade my existing turkey fryer kettle (7.5g) to a bigger one so I can do 10 gallon batches. Has anyone else converted a Golden Gate keg to a boil kettle, or should I just wait around for a normal sanke keg?

Thanks all!

You should probably wait. Among other reasons, bung sided kegs may or may not be happy when you heat and cool them repeatedly and having the hole in the side could be a weak point if there's any issues.

I was just at the shop yesterday and saw the keg in question. The bottom has a really odd shape, if nothing else I think it'd make it a lot harder to clean the bottom than the usual rounded sanke. Didn't jaybird mention he had some kegs? Maybe he can set you up.

I was just at the shop yesterday and saw the keg in question. The bottom has a really odd shape, if nothing else I think it'd make it a lot harder to clean the bottom than the usual rounded sanke. Didn't jaybird mention he had some kegs? Maybe he can set you up.

Yeah, I think Jaybird is going to set me up with a sanke and do the cutting/drilling for it. I'll install this 1/2" stainless valve kit on it:
phpThumb.php

I figure I want something I'll be happy with for a long time, and the Golden Gate doesn't seem like "it". Until I can afford a full 15 gallon Blichmann Boilermaker setup, that is! Hey, I can dream!

L20.jpg

That sounds like a Hoff-Stevens keg. I'd pass as handles are nice to have...

Yeah, I'll be going with a Sanke. jaybird has one available, and he'll be putting some cutting and drilling the keg for me. Thanks for everyone's input!

Seeing as it's a college town, you'd think it'd be easier to get your hands on a keg. I had craigslist postings going for several months and never found anyone who wanted less that $40 or so. Ended up getting a deal on one from my boss:)

Seeing as it's a college town, you'd think it'd be easier to get your hands on a keg. I had craigslist postings going for several months and never found anyone who wanted less that $40 or so. Ended up getting a deal on one from my boss:)

Yeah, I think they upped the deposit on kegs to $40...and $40 goes a long way in Ramen, PB&J and Bud Light!

BTW, saw your kegs at the Brew Shop when I stopped in and they look nice! You'll have to take some pics and do a write up of the RIMS setup. Can't wait to see it in action!

FWIW, I use a GG keg for a HLT. I have used both wood and rubber bungs without any leaks or off flavors. It might be a bit tougher to clean if you're using it for a boil kettle, however.

Latest posts

Back