spiced test batch

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mwhc22

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
so i just still - bottled my spiced test batch of edworts recipe but using unfiltered apple juice. the spice notes in my nose were actually a lot higher than i thought they would be for how little nutmeg and like 1/4 of a ciniman stick i put into it.

when i tasted it it seemed quite sour like a granny smith apple. funny thing is though... i forgot to taste the juice to see what it tasted like before i made the test batch :drunk: so i have no idea if it was sour to begin with or not. i guess i will let it sit in the fridge to age for a week and try one and see how she goes.

ps... it was fermented for about 5.5 weeks... then moved to secondary with a campden tablet and sorbate for about a week... then bottled.

Did you campden it before you pitched the yeast?

:tank:

nope... it was pasteurized martenelli's unfiltered apple juice. so I figured i didn't need to do any yeasty killing before i pitched.

dunno... ill let it sit for a while and see what happens. maybe it will taste better when it sits in the fridge for a day or two instead of at room temp. or maybe the yeast ate all the sugars and its really high in alcohol and brought out the sourness since i didn't back sweeten it. i guess if its too spicy or sour i can always just mix each bottle with some fresh juice to taste. :tank:

In my experience most unfiltered apple juice tends to be much more tart than the filtered stuff. Ferment all the sugar and the tartness really dominates the flavor.

^^^^
yeah thats what it seems like to me from the sample i tasted. it tasted like a just bit into a super tart apple. as long as it just tastes tart and nothing else weird shows up... ill prolly just mix it like 75/25 with some fresh apple juice in the glass and call it good. that will bring the ABV down to like 4% or so i think... but whatever. I can just dump some vodka in if i feel the need for more alcohol.

Back