Alternative carbing method?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ThatFishGuy

Reaction score
Hey everyone,
I doubt this is a first, but in all the threads I've read I haven't seen it. Due to fate's intervention, my kegerator isnt available. My apfelwein is ready so i need to bottle it. but being the impatient person i am, I was wondering if I can just force carb it with my kegging equipment, then just fill bottles from there? now I know that usually works but the catch is that i will be force carbing warm. The ambient temp is around 72 (in the closet), so can I force carb in that, and how long will it take? Even if it takes 5 days to carb warm thats still less than 1/3 the time of bottle carbing. what you guys think? :mug:

If you expect not to lose co2 while bottling you'll need to be as cold as possible, and preferably fill under pressure (ie-counter pressure bottle filler). Just bottle it if you don't have these means.

I purchased my kegging system for the same thing your trying to do, force carbonating worm doesn't work, i was told it was possible, but Ive try ed force carbonating at 45 psi with an ambient temp at 75F. The carb wouldn't hold.

damn.... i was afraid that might be the consensus. so lets say I used a counter pressure filler (im building one anyways :) ) Would that work? Another possible option would be to use this large cylindrical cooler we have. Its one of the big ones on wheels, and I've seen it hold ice for a couple days and still have some left in the water. Would it be safer/more successful to force carb with the keg sitting in that for 24-36 hrs? cant really control the temp much but im sure it can be at least in the 40s for most of that period.

Naturally carb it then just like when bottling. That would work at storage temperature. Then, when your cooler is ready, crash cool for a day or so and the first pint you pull of will be a bit yeasty. After that it should clear up.

mmb- thats a good idea, so that i dont get so much yeast in the bottles. I was just hoping there would be a faster way.
I cant decide... Just wait out the three weeks and know it will be fine, or hurry up and get it done. i wish i wasnt to so impatient. Although, I could just start another brew while this is carbing and then i would be distracted by the bubbling airlock and magically moving liquid... ;)

Ok, well, what about this? Prime the apfelwein in the keg. It'll carb in 2 weeks or so, at room temperature. Then, when you do have the chance to cool it, do it and then bottle with the BMBF and co2 tank. Would that work maybe?

Edit- oh, I saw that it was already suggested. Sorry!

yooperbrew- thats basically what i have in mind at the moment. Even if i only cut a week off the carb time, its worth it to me. I think I'll give it a shot, I just want to see. I realize it wont force carb like normal (if it were cold) but it HAS to be faster under all that pressure than natural carbing. I'll make sure to let you guys know how it goes. so the schedule as of now is:
carb at maybe 20-30psi for 2 weeks.
transfer with BMBF or counter pressure filler if i have the time to put it together.
cap away and see how it holds the carb.
*a thought* - i know warm liquids dont carb as quickly or well as cold ones. but they still do with time right? i mean natural carbing is at 70-ish and they hold carb just fine no?

yooperbrew- thats basically what i have in mind at the moment. Even if i only cut a week off the carb time, its worth it to me. I think I'll give it a shot, I just want to see. I realize it wont force carb like normal (if it were cold) but it HAS to be faster under all that pressure than natural carbing. I'll make sure to let you guys know how it goes. so the schedule as of now is:
carb at maybe 20-30psi for 2 weeks.
transfer with BMBF or counter pressure filler if i have the time to put it together.
cap away and see how it holds the carb.
*a thought* - i know warm liquids dont carb as quickly or well as cold ones. but they still do with time right? i mean natural carbing is at 70-ish and they hold carb just fine no?

Well, I meant to prime the keg with priming sugar first, and then it WILL carb at room temperature, but in about 2 weeks. Then, you can chill it (either in the fridge or ice it down), and then bottle via the BMBF. Then, no sediment in bottles, and carbonated apfelwein.

Basically, treat it like a big bottle that is naturally conditioned. Since the yeast is working in solution making CO2 farts from eating the priming sugar, the CO2 stays in solution.

Then crash cool when you have your keggerator ready and let settle as it cools. Your first pint should be yeasty leftovers from the conditioning process and after that you should be fine.

I personally think that naturally conditioned beer has a taste profile and flavor that is missing with force carbonated beer. I like natural conditioning better.

ya that seems to be the best/safest option. I have some priming sugar on hand from a previous brew anyways....so i dont even have the excuse that I would have to go buy some. Thanks for everyones help. I love the fast response times on here!

Back