Turkey Fryer Question

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

hefeweizen

Reaction score
For those of you who use a turkey fryer for brewing do you ever use the fryer for it's intended purpose (frying turkeys)? Just wondering if the oil and turkey would put any off flavors into the wort or if you can get the pot clean enough after frying to brew in.

Thanks,

Ron

I have fried turkeys and done cajun boils in my turkey fryer pot then made beer.

Make sure you get a stainless steel pot and some Bar Keeper's Friend for cleaning it and you will be good to go.

I have always been cautious of mixing beer pots with my cooking pots. I personally have never used my beer kettle for anything other than beer. Then again, I am sort of a perfectionist, so its up to you. Just make sure you clean it!

I have a problem with this myself...my girlfriend was dying to use my beer kettle for a super-sized chili recipe and I just couldn't say yes. She has her own pot now. :)

Junebug said:
I have a problem with this myself...my girlfriend was dying to use my beer kettle for a super-sized chili recipe and I just couldn't say yes. She has her own pot now. :)

I could use some chili and beer. Did you bring enough for everybody? :D

I could see making soup in my brew pot, but I might be a little skeeved about deep frying anything in it. Then again, if EdWort does it... I say go for it!:ban:

I fry in mine. I just make sure that I clean it really well. Never had any off flavors, but I did have some oil on the surface of my water in a pot once. I just added some soap, scrubber her good with (now) hot soapy water, and finished the cleaning I thought I had done before. No problems.

Back