Grouse's Banjo Brown single infusion

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mergs

Reaction score
I've been doing GF IPAs and some fruit beer experiments and recently had a successful GFAG Grapefruit IPA that's going fast. I could take the easy route and do the same batch, after all its delicious and its like I said, going fast. :mug:

But I've lately been hankerin' for some darker beers. I haven't brewed many of them so I saw that Grouse did a version of this using a step mash approach. I'm going to attempt it using a single infusion mash process as I did for my previous GFAG batch. Here's the recipe:

1.053 OG
1.016 FG
22 IBU
4.9% ABV
21 SRM

12.0 lb Grouse Pale Millet 82 %
1.0 lb Grouse Medium Roast Millet 6 %
1.0 lb Grouse Light Crystal Malted Millet 6 %
0.5 lb Grouse Dark Roast Millet 3 %

0.4 oz Target (UK) 60 min Boil Pellet 11.0%
0.8 oz Golding (US) 20 min Boil Pellet 4.5%
0.4 oz Cascade (US) 5 min Boil Pellet 7.0%

I think the original grouse recipe called for S-05 but I was thinking of trying out S-04 or the Danstar Nottingham dry yeasts (I have packets of both in my fridge). I've seen nut brown ale recipes online using Nottingham for example. I guess its a matter of whether I want slight fruity/estery (nottingham) or neutral (s-05).

Any thoughts on recipe or yeast choice fire away. As soon as the pollen level drops here, I'm brewing this.

I've been doing GF IPAs and some fruit beer experiments and recently had a successful GFAG Grapefruit IPA that's going fast. I could take the easy route and do the same batch, after all its delicious and its like I said, going fast. :mug:

But I've lately been hankerin' for some darker beers. I haven't brewed many of them so I saw that Grouse did a version of this using a step mash approach. I'm going to attempt it using a single infusion mash process as I did for my previous GFAG batch. Here's the recipe:

1.053 OG
1.016 FG
22 IBU
4.9% ABV
21 SRM

12.0 lb Grouse Pale Millet 82 %
1.0 lb Grouse Medium Roast Millet 6 %
1.0 lb Grouse Light Crystal Malted Millet 6 %
0.5 lb Grouse Dark Roast Millet 3 %

0.4 oz Target (UK) 60 min Boil Pellet 11.0%
0.8 oz Golding (US) 20 min Boil Pellet 4.5%
0.4 oz Cascade (US) 5 min Boil Pellet 7.0%

I think the original grouse recipe called for S-05 but I was thinking of trying out S-04 or the Danstar Nottingham dry yeasts (I have packets of both in my fridge). I've seen nut brown ale recipes online using Nottingham for example. I guess its a matter of whether I want slight fruity/estery (nottingham) or neutral (s-05).

Any thoughts on recipe or yeast choice fire away. As soon as the pollen level drops here, I'm brewing this.

Recipe looks tasty!

I've done a few nutty browns in the past few months. I've found I prefer the S05 to Notty for this style. I think the Notty adds too much and tends to take away from the roasty-toasty-nutty aspects of the medium roasted millet.

Just a suggestion: Try a hand full of roasted chestnuts or hazelnuts in the secondary. Adds a different dimension.

I had bad experiences with Nottingham but that experience was partial mash with sorghum syrup. Just seemed to linger on and on and did not seem to want to finish the job. If you use Nottingham on and all grain batch and it works well, I would like to know. I suspect that my partial mash experiences do not translate very well to the AG because with partial mash I never got fast fermentation and the one AG batch I put in a better bottle almost exploded with violent fermentation.

Thanks fellas. You've given me some things to think about here and I'll report back which ever way I go.

Back