sanitation suck

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kmlavoy

Reaction score
So, I brewed a hard cider. It ended up being about 3 gallons or so. As I was finishing up I noticed that all the santiary fluid had been sucked into my fermenter. I topped it off, and half of the next one got sucked in as well. It was One Step that had been diluted as per the instructions.

I have 2 questions:
-Does the 2+ tablespoons of sanitary fluid affect the drinkability of the cider? It certainly didn't affect the fermentation.
-How did it get sucked in in the first place, and how can I avoid that sort of thing in the future?

First off what type of sanitizer, if it was a no rinse, you will be fine. This is why I use Vodka in my air locks. It gets sucked in from pressure change or temp change.

One-step won't hurt you- don't worry! You won't even know it's there.

Ocassionally, that happens. It is usually when there is a temperature change and/or a weather front comes in. Ryan is correct- use vodka in the airlock just in case.

Back