How do you store bottles?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

trainfever

Reaction score
I am in the process of cleaning and removing the labels from bottles that I have collected. I have 9 cases total with only 2 of them in use right now. I figured I wont get all of them back as I plan on giving some beer to coworkers and some might get broken at some point. I was wondering what everyone does with extra bottles that are not being used at the moment? How do you store them?

I have lots of extra shelf space, but I don't think that's a proper or advisable way to store them. Anyone have a solid answer to how you're supposed to store these extra bottles?

These are only about 75% of my bottle "collection", but I store mine like these...:D ;)

I also have 25 cornies...of which 10-12 are full right now...

P3120039-00.jpg

I clean and store them upside down in cardboard beer cases. I line the bottom of the case with some paper towels. That way I know they are clean and ready to use.

I store mine dirty and just clean them out before I bottle, I bottle so infrequently now that it does not matter. I probably have about 150 + grolsch bottles that I don't use frequently, and my non grolsch bottles are stored in my recycling bin. I have one for glass that only makes it out once in a while on recycling day and one for all other materials that makes it out every week.

If you need to get the labels off, the easiest way is to put them in a large bucket with some ammonia, the labels will peel off overnight. Also oxyclean and PBW take the labels off, but amonia is cheaper and more effective.

Donasay said:
If you need to get the labels off, the easiest way is to put them in a large bucket with some ammonia, the labels will peel off overnight. Also oxyclean and PBW take the labels off, but amonia is cheaper and more effective.

Ammonia is the least effective of the de-labeling processes... I originally used ammonia, then I used Star-San, now I use Oxyclean (well, an oxyclean clone)... the oxyclean works a lot better than either of the other 2, and there is no ammonia smell... it's also cheaper using a couple scoops of oxyclean Vs. a bottle of ammonia...

I clean after use, and store upside down so they don't collect dust. then i need only sanitize immediately before refilling/capping.

Blender said:
I clean and store them upside down in cardboard beer cases. I line the bottom of the case with some paper towels. That way I know they are clean and ready to use.

+1

oxiclean works great for most labels.

:off: the labels come right off Harpoon bottles with a 30 minute hot water soak :ban:

I use old copy paper boxes from the office and cut out some dividers to hold the bottles upright. Usually store clean and dry ones upside down to avoid dust.

First, I third the cheap-o dollar store oxy-clean.

A little advice on getting bottles back from recipients of free HB. Nobody gets more untill they return the empties. I enforce this rule on my own father. Usually when they come back, they come with some bonus comercial bottles.

Latest posts

Back